VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clinic Appts

Rate this topic

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a good PCP you can get access to testing including MRI's, CT scans etc. If you have an uncaring PCP you get squat. You more often you go to the VAMC and the more you complain the more treatment you get in my experience. I am sure glad I have medicare because I hate waiting and having to struggle with getting physical access to my VAMC. The VA is better than nothing and that is about all I can say for them.

x

x

x

I was told by the Patient Representative at the VAMC, that in order to be eligible for travel pay, I had to keep my Primary Care Provider with the VA Clinic --and then have then send consults as needed. Problem is, my Primary M.D. demands that I submit a blood and urine sample every 4-6 months --then bases all of her treatment plans on my lab results. I'm sorry to say, my Cholesterol level is NOT the only problem I'm having --she does not take the time to ask me if I need anything more ... I tell her, but she just sits there, and blinks here eyes like an insect. She does not even say goodbye or shake my hand when she's done, just gets up and walks away and tells me she'll see me in 6 months. I think she's been trained by the VA ;-( ~Wings

• 2 weeks later...

I am now on my third PCD, When I saw the first one and told her I was concerned about my exposer to AO, She replied, "Thats not what we are here for"

Second doctor exam was more like the third degree interagation by a group of desert rats. Also when I requested a referal to the ENT. He said it would be easier if I did it myself.

Will see third doc the end of the month. This one was recommended by fellow vets.

The rules state that groups 1 &2 should get an appointment within 30 days. So I go for it and get "give us a call at the end of the month and we will set you up". JUst so they wont show they missed the requirement.

I now call the appointment people at the Hospital and try to set up all my appointments first. Most times I get one.

The 30 days is a standard the clerks attempt to maintain. However, some clinics are so understaffed that the providers are booked out beyond that time line. I understand my facility ranging from 30-45 days because there is 30k patients, but the facility has not been upgraded from a Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) to a Health Care Center (HCC) or VAMC. They have not been approved to hire additional personel either. Of course, I cannot say that is the case at all facilities and would not be as understanding at a VAMC.

x

x

x

I was told by the Patient Representative at the VAMC, that in order to be eligible for travel pay, I had to keep my Primary Care Provider with the VA Clinic --and then have then send consults as needed. Problem is, my Primary M.D. demands that I submit a blood and urine sample every 4-6 months --then bases all of her treatment plans on my lab results. I'm sorry to say, my Cholesterol level is NOT the only problem I'm having --she does not take the time to ask me if I need anything more ... I tell her, but she just sits there, and blinks here eyes like an insect. She does not even say goodbye or shake my hand when she's done, just gets up and walks away and tells me she'll see me in 6 months. I think she's been trained by the VA ;-( ~Wings

The Patient Represenative is correct about consults if you are referring to travel pay for medical visits outside the VA. Have you spoken to the Doctor's Manager? If I have an issue with a nurse I talk to the Nurse Manager, a clerk i talk to the administrator. Perhaps they can help resolve your issue better than the patient advocate or representative.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Patient Represenative is correct about consults if you are referring to travel pay for medical visits outside the VA. Have you spoken to the Doctor's Manager? If I have an issue with a nurse I talk to the Nurse Manager, a clerk i talk to the administrator. Perhaps they can help resolve your issue better than the patient advocate or representative.

The Patient Representative told me: "If you change your primary car from this clinic to that VAMC, you will no longer recieve travel pay to your appointments". In other words, my VA Clinic is worthless to me, so I thought I should just ask to be assigned to the VA Hospital down the road (quite a spell). They told me I can not get travel pay to my primary care facility. Is this true? ~Wings