VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&t, Prior Fed Employee... Social Sec. Disability?

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I recently got blessed with 100% P&T mostly as a result of my PTSD and depression. I was forced to retire early because of my sicknesses, but I do get some retirement pay from the fed gov.

I worked 15 years in the private sector and most of my SS retirement will be done away because of a change that was put in during the Reagan Administration ("windfall elemination provision)

Sould I be applying for Social Security Disability also? I'm not a money hog... my finances are a mess because of my disability, my wife is disabled without SS, and I have a wayword daughter who costs me a lot. [on the bright side I have a wonder loving best grandson in the world.. Mikey)

Thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If under FERS, then you have to file for SSDI. They will offset each other. This sucks but they have us right where they want us.

J

Though I do not agree on the formula under which we are offset, if we make it to 62 and this country is still intact, then things change in our favor.

I always believed FERS was a program to good to be true until the markets were being run on false news and tax dollas,then 08 happened, my eyes were opened to just how fake the markets really are, then add in the MF Global scam..............I will never again play in the paper markets as they now exist, I think we have some very bad things headed this way out of Europe and China. I would add in Japan, but they nuked themselves this round, and their GDP to debt was already over 200%....anyhoo things are getting tighter than a banjo string and it wont take much more pressure to break it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I turn 62 this month so I am going to see if OPM automatically recalculates my disability annuity. I should not have the offset after this month, but I bet I have to call them to remind the OPM. My pension is about 33% of my base pay when I retired. This is not a whole lot of money, but if it is added to SSD, and VA I will be doing OK.

• HadIt.com Elder

You could have stated that you were CSRS in the beginning. That makes a world of difference.

CSRS tells me you started working for the Govt sometime in the 80's. CSRS Folks pay no SSA taxes.

You may already have the time in service and the age to retire.

CSRS disability is actually easier to get than FERS disability.

Hang in there.