VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Preparation For Decision

Rate this question

CShock

Question

It feels a little like success. Filed initial claim 1 Mar 11, checked e-bene today and the status changed from "review of evidence" to "preparation for decision. I'm just happy to see some movement, should I expect another long wait before things advance again? I really hadn't expected to see any movement or hear anything prior to the 1 year mark and I think perhaps I should stick with that premise, just wanted to get a few opinions.

Shock

Medici, et al.

Thanks for the info, and I agree it does feel good to see some movement and I do realize the process takes forward and backward steps. While other times the process is running backward, (literally). Thanks four imput, I will remain patient as I realize my wait Pales in comparison to some others at hadit.

Shock

I just got another email dump and thought maybe my claim has moved. Still the same, gathering evidence...

I only check after I get emails, maybe they just spam every month. So it must be good to see some movement.

Everytime I get the email I say, yes I could get a federal job, if you finished my claim and I got the extra five points, yes - work for the VA - but I applied to many, was referred to several, and never got an interview. I am wondering if the VA will ever correct itself.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it is a mistake to get too hung up on this VAspeak regarding time frames for various functions in the claims process. You can drive yourself crazy when nothing happens. God created the universe in 7 days but they were very long days.

John999,

Thanks for the good advice, and thanks to the great folks on this aite I know not to count the money until it is in the bank. However it does appear that things are moving forward. Also my two close friends who retired 2-3 years prior to be received word of their initial claims in about 10 - 12 months and I am approaching 11 months. If it still takes awhile to receive further word , I'm ok with chat. But as mentioned earlier it is good to see movement. I just hope that unlike my hairline things don't receed at this point. Thanks again.

Shock

*New update*

Good Evening,

I am hoping that someone can help me understand what has transpired in the last week concerning my initial claim. This message may get a little lenghty so bear with me.

If you have read the previous messages you will see that my claim status changed begining in January 2012 and within two weeks of the initial changes, my claim reached the "notification" phase. This Saturday I checked ebenefits and noticed the status had changed and it showed "review of evidence" and I admit I felt defeated. Upon checking the "download va letters" link, I noticed some additional documents were available for me to view, which weren't previoiusly available. i.e.

AB8 Bennefits Verification Letter

AB4 disabled Veteran Civil Service Preference

Application for 10 pts veteran Preference

As I opened the Bennefits Verification Letter, it showed that I had a rating of 60% with a effective date of 1 Dec 11. Excited but still a little confused why the claim had not reached the "complete" phase of the process, I guessed that perhaps some of my contentions had been defered and I would just wait to receive "the white envelope". I did noticed that my payment did not reflect my spouse or two kids, so I updated that information, even though I had included it with my initial claim.

Today I checked ebenefits and my claim shows "Gathering of Evidence" and a message which states "We need evidence showing that the followign condition(s) existed from military service to present time. The condition in question is sleep apnea; during an earlier request from the VA to submit additional information, I sent in my claim for SA which was received by the VA on 31 May 2011. My sleep study, referal and results where all obtained while I was still on active duty. I ensured that I included all information regarding this and even highlighted the dates to show that I was still on active duty. Additionally I sent 3 IRIS inquiries because the SA claim did not show as a contention in ebenefits. Finally after the thrid inquiry I received a reply stating that SA was added to my claim.

So finally here are my quetions.

1. Am I correct in my understanding that some of my contentions may have been defered?

2. Am I correct in my understanding that I am currently rated at 60%, even without the sleep apnea being considered?

3. Should I disregared the Benefit Verification letter until I receive something in the mail?

4. If I have already sent in the information concerning the sleep apnea, do I send the same information, as I don't have any additional documentation to support my claim. I'm the most confused about this issue. I have the report which states I have the condition and I also have the CPAP equipment, and all this information was provided previously.

5. Should I expect that my entire claim is now back at the "gathering of evidence" phase?

I hope this isn't confusing and I look forward to gaining some insight into this matter.

V/r

Shock

I had something similar happen so maybe I can help shed some light on at least some of your questions.

I put in a claim for several things (PTSD, migraines, IBS). I went to my C&P exam and waited for the brown envelope. In the mean time, I kept an eye on my ebenefits status. I saw my claim move into the decision phase then a few days later the same letters you saw showed up on my ebenefits. They rating later said I was at 80%. Then, just as quickly as it moved up the chain, my claim status fell back into the development phase and I had no idea what was going on.

About a week later I got the big brown envelope in the mail explaining what they did. What the rater did was grant what they could then deferred my claim for IU plus a bunch of other things that they found in my VA medical records. They inferred those claims and my VSO put in the paperwork for IU along with sleep apnea and a bunch of other Gulf War stuff. After that, I went to another C&P and my claim moved up to decision, back to development then back to "preparing for a decision" (under the new listings). So its not unusual to get part of your claim rated then see the whole thing go back and forth in ebenefits.

So to answer your questions, yes, some of your contentions may have been deferred. Yes, you are rated at 60% but you won't know what the rating is for or what has been deferred until you get the paperwork in the mail. I imagine you could call the 800# and they could give you more information.

If they need you to resubmit your sleep apnea information, they will say so in your rating letter. Your claim will fall backwards on ebenefits until they get the information they need to process the rest of your claim. They may just want you to go to a C&P exam so one of their docs can confirm your sleep apnea and whether or not its service related. I know it sounds redundant but that is what they did with me even though my medical records were very clear on the point. Sometimes you just have to jump through hoops.

If you have a service officer, he/she should be able to help you with this. If you don't have a VSO, then I would suggest finding one and let them help you with all the details. They can save you from a lot of the confusion as they generally have a line to someone at your regional office they can talk to to sort things out.

Pete