VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Won Asbestosis Claim

Rate this topic

greatescape

• 1 month later...

I had a claim for asbestosis also.I first filed on 7-2007 and went through many claim denials.The VA tried to say smoking was the cause!You cannot get asbestosis from smoking!! I was a boilerman on destroyers from 1963 to 1967 and we were in an asbestos loaded enviroment.They had us at times mixing asbestos in buckets with our hands to repair lagging on steam lines.The firerooms were not pleasant to work in.I just won my claim after five years of fighting for it.I got 100% back to 7-2007.Keep up the fight is the only way to win your claim!Good luck to all who are dealing with the VA.I am just an old BT but things are finally looking up after i lost my house,cars and business.But you gotta be grateful for what you have,and i am.My best to all of you!

GREAt news BT3 !!!!!

I agree with John too THAT GreatescaPe might have basis for a CUE claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy related asbestos exposure should be presumptive for those that served on any of the older WWII and Korean era ships. Many of these ships were in service long after the Vietnam eara. Around the late 60's and early 70's, a lot of the older ships did have some level of asbestos removed and replaced with other insulation.

Vibration broke down the fibers, caused dust, and generally resulted in exposure. A large number of the ships had air handling systems that did not prevent airborne particles from spreading throughout.

WWII era barracks at Great Lakes and other Navy bases were built with a large amount of asbestos, (Insulation, tile, etc.) Many of these buildings were in use long after WWII, and were occupied by many Navy veterans during training and transit to other assignments. Shipboard exposure is not the only possible exposure.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use