VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Won Asbestosis Claim

Rate this topic

greatescape

I spent some time there, housed in the barracks at Great Lakes,, in fact while in Illinois I got pnumonia and spent a while in the hodpital.. the USAF sent me to a Navy school for a few months. It was a horrible place... really really miserable pace there.. it was some of the worst experiences I ever had..

Sorry if I offend anyone that was there.. but it was (insert cussing here..)

Navy related asbestos exposure should be presumptive for those that served on any of the older WWII and Korean era ships. Many of these ships were in service long after the Vietnam eara. Around the late 60's and early 70's, a lot of the older ships did have some level of asbestos removed and replaced with other insulation.

Vibration broke down the fibers, caused dust, and generally resulted in exposure. A large number of the ships had air handling systems that did not prevent airborne particles from spreading throughout.

WWII era barracks at Great Lakes and other Navy bases were built with a large amount of asbestos, (Insulation, tile, etc.) Many of these buildings were in use long after WWII, and were occupied by many Navy veterans during training and transit to other assignments. Shipboard exposure is not the only possible exposure.

Escape,

Glad to hear that you got your favorable decision. I was dignasoed two years ago with IPF and have been on oxygen ever since (VA supplied).

I found out from a VSO that us Marines were exposed to the asbestoes insulation the same as the Navy personal in thier barracks and such were but not like the Navy personal were on board ship.

I have put in for SC due to asbestoes exposure from the barracks, training rooms, and other buildings at San Diego from boot. I was also at LeJune in 69 (water?) and was in the barracks, class rooms and in the armory as an armor for a while. Along with being a Brig Guard at Great Lakes in early 70 just before I got out.

And I am sure that there a lot of Marines and Sailors that were exposed that have not been diagonesed yet.

Since I am on the lung transplant list I am hoping that it will be a no brainer for the raters and others since I have two years of breathing tests, x-rays, c-scans and exaimes all done by the VA at Columbia in MO and at the transplant center at Madison Wisc.

Glad to hear that someone was on the ball and you got what you deserved.

Flatbroke

• 2 weeks later...

BT3 here,I finally got my retro pay for Asbestosis back to 2007.Six figures went into my account on sat.I thank the powers that be, this has been five years coming.Good luck to all with their VA claims!!!!!!

• 6 years later...

9 year Active duty Army vet. Served as a wheeled vehicle repaired, ate brake and clutch dust day in and out! Served from 1984 to 1993, now I fighting lung problems, I have only been able to work 7 months since I had a lung collapse in Feb. 2016, I’ve had pneumonia 3 times and now I’m looking at another pneumothorax surgery. 

Diagnosed with COPD in 2011, just recently made the asbestos connection but my Dr. and thoracic surgeon won’t call it asbestosis. Any advice how I should proceed???

medical bills are piling up and my employer isn’t going to hold my job forever.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
On 3/14/2018 at 4:45 AM, SSGC Old Soldier said:

9 year Active duty Army vet. Served as a wheeled vehicle repaired, ate brake and clutch dust day in and out! Served from 1984 to 1993, now I fighting lung problems, I have only been able to work 7 months since I had a lung collapse in Feb. 2016, I’ve had pneumonia 3 times and now I’m looking at another pneumothorax surgery. 

Diagnosed with COPD in 2011, just recently made the asbestos connection but my Dr. and thoracic surgeon won’t call it asbestosis. Any advice how I should proceed???

medical bills are piling up and my employer isn’t going to hold my job forever.

Thanks

Hi SSGC, 

The road through asbestosis recognition by the VA is rough and rocky indeed. 

First, you must be diagnosed with a disease that is caused by asbestos. I see no mention in your previous note about that, save being unable to get a diagnosis from a "thoracic surgeon."  I also have a thoracic surgeon and can tell you that he does not do lungs. 

Try going to a pulmonologist for an x-ray screen of your lungs. Either they will say you have the symptoms of asbestosis or (god forbid) mesothelioma, or they will say you don't.

What I had to do was obtain a report from a certified "B" reader. I sent the "B" reader a copy of my VA x-ray for a diagnosis. He looked at it and returned a very different diagnosis from the radiologist at the VA. I further had am internist specializing in occupational disease diagnose the ILO sheet the "B" reader filled out on my lungs which resulted in a diagnoses of asbestosis. 

Good luck shipmate.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use