VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Question(S)

Rate this question

CCC

Question

Hey, all. Not new here, but can't remember my log-in information, so I am ashamedly starting over. :)

I have a question or two related to Agent Orange exposure, disability, etc. If there's a place where I can read up on it, please direct me so I don't have to waste anyone's time, but y'all have been so helpful before.

OK, my husband is disabled. His paperwork says 50% but he's rated at 60%. I don't understand how that works, but he said it's a VA thing, and not supposed to make sense.

Reading here, and online, we got a little information regarding his exposure. He was never in Vietnam, but was Vietnam era. He was working at several Army bases as an MP, where AO was sprayed as a defoliant. Many of those Army bases are now considered "superfund" sites by the EPA because of the toxicity levels.

He has heart disease, type 2 diabetes, emphysema and a myriad of other conditions. The only one, at this time, considered service connected, is his heart. He had a heart attack when he was stationed in California, and this was about 10 years after his exposure to AO. This is all in his records, and he has no history of heart disease, himself or family.

We got notification yesterday of other documents needed, such as proving how AO resulted in heart disease, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how I would go about doing that? I'm not sure what my next step should be.

We are a little confused on how we are supposed to proceed. There were no tests done on him while he was in the military for anything - he said in the entire 20 years he was in the military, never once does he remember his finger being pricked or being checked for sugar. He remembers being in Ft. Carson, CO, and they were going to have to ship him to another base because he was having so much trouble breathing - he couldn't acclimate to the higher climate.

He was stationed at 5 different sites which are now considered EPA superfund sites, and especially remembers AO being sprayed along the fenceline, regularly, at Seneca Army Depot, also a superfund site. He said they sprayed it regularly, because it was a nuke depot, and they had to keep the weeds away from the fenceline.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

CC - I want to thank you and the rest so much for all of the help you've been in this. I have looked at every link you've provided me, and am so thankful. Some of it's hard to understand, though. I just didn't want you to think that I haven't looked at your links - I am just still trying to decipher through alot of them. If I ask stupid questions, or ask questions that you've already answered, I do apologize.

Thanks again, so much, for everything y'all have done thus far to help me.

Hello CCC,,,, I understand perfectly where you are and know what you have on your mind. To put it simply ......it is overwhelming. I know that I have loaded your dinner table with much information but it does take research and work. This is where I was 5 years ago also. Every veteran on hadit.com and its elders and moderators had to start just like you and I did. But with the help of ALL of us pulling for each other , there is strength in numbers and in being able to help each other . Each member having some great strengths to add to your need. Alittle here from one , alittle here from another and above all time to grow and to sort thru this. Please remember that you will find that one day you will be trying to help another brother or sister out that is trying to fight this huge Giant we all know as the VA.

I have found one thing to be very tragic,,,,, that is researching the VA and the court and BVA decisions that result in so many denials. Mainly because of poor representation and or poorly administered claims put forth. OR BOTH.

We are so fortunate to have such a great battalion of seasoned warriors, each armed with specialties. Not one of us that knows it all but all working together.... GUNG HO, as we see the many success stories because of the teamwork and the spirit here at Hadit.com. Each one of us having our special gift that goes with another. It is truly amazing.

Just try and pull up the archives and look closely at the reports in the library here and then try to understand the process and what wins claims from the success stories from all of us here.

I too am looking forward to my day when I can post my own success story and to thank all the folks here who offered me help and encouragement when I was overwhelmed and nearly defeated , not just by the VA but by these diseases and the hospitals and recovery periods.

Try and think about your getting your claim organized with your evidence which you get thru your research , the presenting to your doctor to help them connect the dots and then your IMO's which can make your claim turn into an award.

We all here at hadit can tell our stories of messing up something early in the claims process, that we wished we had not done , but that is part of what you would advise a veteran not to do with his or her claim later. Each one carrying the torch for justice.

I just hope that the research and archives will help you in your efforts and don't be afraid to think outside the box of these different places and getting with these other agencies to get reports that could be beneficial to you and your claims process.

Above all please remember that no matter how tough it gets , or how down you may feel,,,,,,,NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

http://www.kpho.com/...ttype=printable

CCC, The above link is from the same TV station that the previous link I posted for Camp Carrol. Very informatable video. This is where I would focus.I will continue to work on the Ft Greely one.Mike

C:\Users\michael\Desktop\AgentOrangeMedia\DEC - Contaminated Sites Program - Site Summary - Ft_ Greely.mht

C:\Users\michael\Downloads\Military Secret Exposed - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix.mht

The first link is Ft Greely . CCC, the second link is for Camp Carrol in South Korea. If your hubby was stationed there,it would be the best place to start especially if around the same date. Heavy concentration of AO at a dump site. Good Luck !! Mike

I don't know why these won't work from this site.Could it be that because their in mht format? Both links work from my computer.Maybe a computer geek can help us out

http://www.dec.state.ak.us/SPAR/csp/sites/ftgreely.htm

Capt.,As you would say, Had to use the back door. Hope you don't have this and that it is helpful.Mike

Edited by Bigred122

Hello Mike.... It is so important for all of us to make sure things like this are posted and archived here. Though I have the Fort Greely DEC and I think it is archived here , I would like to point thislink to this site down near the bottom of the page you posted to the Fort Greely Restoration and Advisory board. It has historical data stored there and can be researched with lots of information there for use. I would like to caution that sometimes data from this site gets remediated and the site could end up closed and the information then may not be publically available. I would copy any report on any site and then print it off. It was only last month that the report on the 49th Missile Defense Command Environmental Baseline Report 2007 went into HYPERSPACE when it appeared on this site when I got it posted. It mysteriously reappeared about 6 hours later. I have not read the original report to compare with the new one that reappeared yet but plan on.

I have had this happen before with some sensitive data and some has been lost forever due to me not printing it immediately. DOD does monitor sites and can easily take down and then mysteriously its gone. The Restoration and Advisory Board material is changing due to the 5 yr review on sites and the change of Method 1, 2, or 3 levels of remediation. Once a site is thru with on going inspections and passes a clean bill of health , it is removed to an inactive site status as you can see if you research some of the sites.

The problems with Fort Greely are huge and as one can see , if there was not a problem or a lot of problems there would not be a need to have a Fort Greely Restoration and Advisory Board.

Once again Mike thank you for your posting this information again as it does need to be put back into everyones mind so as to not get stagnant or lost. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

Thanks for the link, Mike. I actually found a few articles about the burial of AO at Camp Carroll, but they tested it and like in September or October, they said there was nothing there.

I'm quite sure that there is something there. They aren't going to admit it, and make an enemy of the S Koreans, as well as open themselves up to more AO claims from Camp Carroll.

Would they have records that go back that far?

Duty rosters from the late 60s? And would FOIA cover that?

Thanks for the link, Mike. I actually found a few articles about the burial of AO at Camp Carroll, but they tested it and like in September or October, they said there was nothing there.

I'm quite sure that there is something there. They aren't going to admit it, and make an enemy of the S Koreans, as well as open themselves up to more AO claims from Camp Carroll.

Would they have records that go back that far?

Duty rosters from the late 60s? And would FOIA cover that?

I don't remember if it was in that article or not.(did you see their previous story date and read it?) This site was one that was cleaned up in the middle of the night. Duty rosters should still be available. Was your hubby there in the 60's?The South Koreans are well aware of this site and have done many inspections on it before and after cleanup. And some where buried in a Bill you would find a payment to the South Korean government for damages done by the AO at Camp Carrol.If I was you I would do a two prong attack on it. Get what you can thru the FOIA for one and two would be to write to the South Korean Health Dept and get copies of all their studies.You would probably get more info from them because they have nothing to hide and much to gain. All my duty stations over there were all up north and I think I was there once only for about 5 minutes on one of my trips to the Seoul Hospital( 4077 Mash is a real unit).FOIA are suppose to be responded to in 20 working days, but I just received a letter yesterday that they are going to be working on mine and I should have within 60-90 days.My request are all ready 6-8 months old. I think the only reason they are doing them now is that I requested a DRO hearing and if they didn't respond to my requests, it would make them look bad to the reviewer. So since it is a touchy subject be prepared to have to wait longer than usual. When you do a BVA search, use words Agent Orange, Camp Carrol,Granted and you should find some cases that will help you. That trick Hoppy taught me.Add your hubbys AO disability to words and try that as well. Sometimes just a little terminology change can turn one or two cases into 20-30 claims.Creativity is a plus. Good luck!! Mike