Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. Many folks use Ad Blockers and I understand why, I would ask that if you want to support HadIt.com and help keep it online add HadIt.com website as an exception ×

Questions About Upcoming C&p: Good Ideas Or Bad Ideas? Please Let Me Know What You Think

BFR

Question

It's been 18 months since I filed my claim for Gulf War Syndrome (maybe now it's called Gulf War Illness), but I finally have my C&P set up for February 3rd. I read this section of the forums in order to learn more about what can happen in these exams and the things veterans can do to maximize the chance of a successful outcome.

TO DO LIST

- arrive early, or at least on time

- take my wife with me into the exam. She views my illnesses from a different perspective.

- thank the examiner for his time and his service in supporting vets

- be truthful, answers the examiner's questions fully, but stay on topic

- when the session is over thank the examiner again

- take some vet's advice in these forms to answer questions as I felt not just at the moment but at the worst part in the last 30 days.

Should these be on my TO DO LIST?

- print out the VA exam sheets for GWI and the presumptive disorders that my IMO wrote a strong statement on (irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia) as notes to use during the exam

- print out the relevant e-CFR (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations) segments that deal with the conditions listed in the line above so that I can indicate what I believe to be fair ratings for my situation

Anything I've missed or forgotten? P

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row, BFR.

The notes idea may help, but my experience is the doc won't wanna hear your take on fair ratings.

Other opinions may differ.

I'd previously made mistake of always going in freshest for VA appointments and C & P's and thereby understating my afflictions because of this.

Last time I did a good bit of walking the day before (which takes its toll) so my physical condition was more accurately reflected than if I had been at rest.

You're gonna do fine! smile.png

Edited by Notorious Kelly

• HadIt.com Elder

skip references to CFR's. Just hand your IMO to the C&P doctor. Just present yourself as you usually are and answer quesions fully. Avoid simple "yes or no" answers. Elaborate on your conditions. If your conditions are physical conditions your records will probably speak for themselves but tell them about pain, lack of sleep, anxiety, depression etc. This is your chance to really tell the VA doctor about your day to day existence and how your disability affects you. Tell him how your problems affect your job, home life and all aspects of your life in you can cram it in in a 15 minute exam. Keep talking.

John