Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Right Ear Tinitus



Back in Apr 1984 while at Ft. Bragg, NC., I developed an ear pain that almost busted my ear drum. After a few years I developed this ringing in my ears and was told by the doctor that there is no medication and no cure for this. I let it go and continue to live with this situation and got somewhat use to it. later in years it started to bother me to the point of not being able to sleep. I spoke to an Army friend which told me that I can file for compensation with the VA. I file my claim in Sept. 2009 and was denied. I appeal it and, I am waiting for their decision. What are my chances of getting any compensation since the only proof I have is the medical report from 1984 which state that I had an ear infection with almost ear drum busted. I have no other proof or doctors follow ups, and I was so naive as not to know anything about it. Any input is greatly appreciatedhuh.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

You need to get a statement (nexus) from your doctor/ENT specialist showing a connection between the ear infection and your tinnitus. It is important that they state that "I have review the service medical record and it is my medical opinion that the current condition is a result of the ear infection that occurred while in service in 1984.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make sure that when and if you get a C&P for this that you are aware if the rinning in you ear comes from one ear or both. They will as this question and you should be aware of the correct answer for the question as it will impact on the results of the C&P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make sure that when and if you get a C&P for this that you are aware if the rinning in you ear comes from one ear or both. They will as this question and you should be aware of the correct answer for the question as it will impact on the results of the C&P.

Being that Tinnitus is capped at 10 % and there is no option for a bilateral rating,

there is no impact on whether it's in one or both ears.

FWIW - Tinnitus is only perceived in the ears - it happens in the head.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sharon is right on, get an ENT doc to write the IMO. Carlie is right as well they only give 10%. I would suggest that you also do some research on the infection you had and if indicates that the infection can cause tinnitus print it and send it to the VA as well. What was your MOS? I posted a link that lists all of the MOS's that are subject to hearing loss, this should help as well. Just go to the search feature and type in hearing loss and it will show all of the posts on that subject.

Rmember anything sent to the VA has to be return receipt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to add something. When you filed your claim in 2009 did they give you a hearing test? If your hearing was normal in that ear that may be why they denied the claim. The test should show some hearing loss in the high frequency range. That's why it is important to know if your MOS is on the list for hearing loss.

Remember the proof is in the pudding....you need to prove to the VA that your condition and it's effects are the result of what happened to you while on active duty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • I found this quiet Interesting supreme court decison
      click the link to read about this.


      From the Article

        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 24 replies
    • A VA Compensation and Pension Examiners Perspective
      A VA Compensation and Pension Examiners Perspective

      This person is going to judge you. It’s their job, and that is why you are there. To be adjudicated fairly. How would you like to be remembered? A scuzzy stereotypical veteran? Or a troubled one who is doing the best they can?

      Do not talk about alcohol or drug-related issues. You are not there to be assessed for those problems. You are there to be evaluated for your psychiatric functioning as today relates to your service history. If the examiner asks about alcohol or drugs, politely remind them that you are not there for those issues if you’ve ever had them, but for how impaired you are in your daily functioning. It’s best to avoid even talking about them. Got a VA horror story? I can tell you a worse one. Don’t waste your time with how badly you believe you’ve been mistreated. The examiner only has a short time to figure out how impaired you are, and they need the facts, concise sentences, and not rambling rants that lead nowhere.
      • 0 replies
    • VA Math, Confusing, Right? Calculate Your Final Rating Percentage!
      10 + 50 = 50 and other VA math mysteries explained.

      VA Math It’s Not Your Mother’s Arithmetic 

      “VA Math” is the way that the VA computes combined impairment ratings for multiple conditions in a Veteran’s compensation benefits claim – and it requires that you unlearn real math. When a Veteran has multiple medical conditions that are service-connected and the Veterans Affairs rates each at a different percentage, it would seem that they should just add up your percentages to get to a total body impairment rating.
      • 2 replies
    • VA will propose adding rare cancers to the presumed service-connected list as related to military environmental exposure
    • Post in I need some help, please
      If you are looking for help taking care of him something like a home health aide that comes in during the week and helps with what he needs help with. For this I would contact your local VA hospital and ask to speak to the Social Worker, explain your situation, ask for help and how to proceed.

      If you are looking for additional compensation in the form of Special Monthly Compensation check out this video from CCK Law I think it will give you a good idea what it is and how to go about applying for it.

      For example there is a Special Monthly Compensation Rate for TBI try reading this article from The Veterans Law Blog on SMC T It is a subscription site but it allows you to view 3 articles for free a month.

      Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

      I hope this helps.

  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • How to get your questions answered...


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.
    2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    Leading to:

    Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


    Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines