VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Left & Right Thumbs Arthritis

Rate this question

orlando107

Question

I am service connected for both thumbs. 10% each. I also developed CTS in both hands. I am thinking in an operation to repair this because is very painful and it really bothers me. My question is: Is this in anyway connected to the Arthritis? Also, can I claim a higher rating because of this?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

What type of arthritis do you have? Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis?

I am service connected for both thumbs. 10% each. I also developed CTS in both hands. I am thinking in an operation to repair this because is very painful and it really bothers me. My question is: Is this in anyway connected to the Arthritis? Also, can I claim a higher rating because of this?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have heard that the surgery for CTS is pretty successful. What kind of work do you do? It is usually work related like people who type all day or carpenters who hammper nails all day.

I asked about the specific type of arthritis because there is some literature to suggest that folks with rheumatoid arthritis may be somewhat more likely to develop CTS. Here, http://lmgtfy.com/?q...me%22+arthritis , look for yourself.

If you want to seek service connection for CTS secondary to arthritis, I suggest you NOT print out volumes of internet data to send to the Rater. While all that information might be a quite interesting read on a cold winters' night, it really does nothing to show that YOUR CTS is related to YOUR arthritis. If you go this route, you'll need a medical opinion that YOUR CTS is related to YOUR arthritis. Good opinions can be from an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery; a neurosurgeoun with hand surgery experience; or, a plastic surgeon who does hand surgery.

Yes, the surgical procedure for CTS is relatively simple, an outpatient procedure, and usually very successful.. However, if you have both surgeries done at the same time, make sure you have "a real good friend biggrin.png " who can assist you with certain activities of daily living. Bandages, ya' know.