Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Retirees Due Back Pay

mrstix

Question

Good morning all. Has anyone seen the article on www.Military.com about CRSC and CRDP due back pay?

Is this a fact or just speculation, sure would be nice if correct. If so what would it be from, it's a pretty confusing article. Any Info: on this would be great, from you all. Have a good day.

mrstix 25 years retired

50% s.c. CRDP

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just caught this myself and am trying to digest it-

I have absolutely no doubt that there must be potential retro for many affected vets as in this article-

CRSC and CRDP applications were often messed up right from the git go-

another thing-

they do not seem to have a built in way of dealing with this scenario-

vet gets VA SC for 100 % combat related disabilities-for years-----

vet gets CUE from VARO that they erred- vet was Not in combat-no SC disabilties

vet attempts to prove his case and nothing supports it-the VASC is dropped.

vet STILL gets CRSC!!!!

true case-figure that out-

For anyone this might affect please go to:

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,105439,00.html

This is important info!

I read and reread the article but can't make any sense of it as it applies to retirees. The only thing I can see that retirees might be entitled to is amended tax returns for computation errors. Non retired Vets can get retro pay.

If anyone can explain it to my advantage I sure would like to see it.

They are discussing this at Military.com

http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?q=Y...,105439,00.html

You might have to join to get into this discussion-

I agree that this is difficult to interpret.

Let me take a stab. Money figures are just examples for easy reading.

Retired vet files claim in Jan 05. Claim is denied in Aug 05. Nod submitted. Claim is awarded at 50 percent level in June 06 with effective date of 1 Jan 05.

According to law - current - Vet is egible for CRDP of 200.00 month from 1 Jan 05 but DFAS nor VA honored this law. What happened was vet was awarded 600.00 per month VA disability effective 1 Jan 05 but VA withheld payment of the entire 600.00 until 1 July 06 since vet had already drawn retirement pay.

In reality VA should have only withheld 400.00 since vet was authorized 200.00 month in CRDP payments. However, CRDP is a DFAS/DoD issue and not a VA issue. However, DFAS would not/did not recompute retirement pay so vet would be paid his 200.00 CRDP payments.

End result - Vet waived the entire 600.00 amount when in reality according to the law he/she should have only had to waive 400.00 per month. So vet got cheated out of 200.00 permonth for 18 months equaling 3600.00.

The problem came in when the law was implemented it read "for any month a veteran is authorized both retirement pay and va disability pay" crdp was to be paid. VA said ain't my problem, DFAS said we ain't paying until VA notifies us and we ain't paying no back (their bad interpertation of the law). The law makers when they read the implementing instructions issued by VA and DFAS forgot that it sometimes takes VA 2-5 years to approve a claim. End result - Vet gets screwed so now they are trying to correct the problem.

We will all have to wait on the DFAS press release before any of us fully understand what is going on. Just don't spend any money that you don't have. If it shows up in your deposit spend it.

Ricky

Guest Dataman

It won't apply unless your on CRSC. Not CRDP. What a strange mess they have with all these half a programs.

Someday maby they will just pay our retired pay....

DM

Dataman - I questioned DFAS via telephone and was told that it affected both CRSC and CRDP receipents. The original article also stated that back pay was due to CRSC and CRDP receipents. Just so happens that the gentleman that got the ball rolling on the issue was a CRSC guy. Do you have anything that states that it will only apply to CRSC guys? Just wondering.

Ricky

Guest Dataman

Only ones (except for someone just getting CRDP) missing money were CRSC folks. Pretty straight forward the other program. Ours it set dollar amount then 10% more a year.

Unless you fall into very very very small loophole don't look for any money if your CRDP. What a mess these strange programs are.

Just pay us....

My va disability was a retro award. VA withheld all of the back pay due to receipt of retirement pay. by doing so I lost over 6000.00 dollars in CRDP payments. DFAS said sorry we don't do back pay. VA said we have to withhold all due to law, DFAS is responsible for paying the back pay in crdp payments. oh well.

Ricky

Hi, has anyone heard or read any update on this topic. Sure will be interesting to see the out come , would be great for a bunch of us, hope for the best. Thanks and have a great day.

Spoke to a lady at DFAS retired pay this afternoon and she said everyone drawing CRSC and CRDP were eligible but the VA makes a determination on who is going to get paid. They are ready to cut a check but the VA is the is the hold up, all they have to do is give the ok and we will get our money

Jerry A Henson US Navy Retired 50% service connected.

Thanks Jerry, that's good news. I am in the same boat as you. 50% S.C. getting CRDP. I figure they owe me 8 mths back pay about $1480,. Awarded Jan 05, recived first check 1 Oct. 05. Well we will see what happens, thanks agin for the update.

mrstix 25 yrs retired A.F

I'm retired and recently received a disability increase with retro to early 01. Because I draw retired pay I miss out on over $25,000 back pay. They say I can file amended returns for three years to recoup the taxes payed on the increase.

I can't see where retirees fit into this backpay article. Would be nice but like someone else said, I won't rush out and spend the money. I'm used to reaching down and grabbing my ankles.

I do want to say that I am continually grateful for the retired benefits that I have and don't want it to sound like I am bitter over the ones that have been lost. We would lose them at a smaller rate if all retirees would get active in dealing with their congress critters instead of blowing hot air at the local bistro..

Hi folks, there is a update at Military.com on this dated 7-28-06. Maybe some of you smarter folks can understand it, I sure can't. Any info: would be great. To all have a good day, and good luck to ya.

Hi folks, there is a update at Military.com on this dated 7-28-06. Maybe some of you smarter folks can understand it, I sure can't. Any info: would be great. To all have a good day, and good luck to ya.

Well here is the link. This has just left me more confused

http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,107503,00.html

Jim

There is no official information on that page. i know that DFAS has refused me in the past. As I have posted before, VA mistakenly withheld my compensation to collect for an SSB I received in july 1993 (money was also being withheld from my retirement check (went back on active duty in 1998). It took 5 months and a Congressman to get that strightened out. I also told the congressman that since I was rated at 50% I should have been receiving concurrent receipt. The reply I got was that since my payments did not begin until May 2005 that no concurrent receipt was owed me. this was in spite of the fact that the effective date of my compensation was Sep 1, 2004. By the way, since I am retired I have to pay back the before tax amount of my SSb not the after tax amount that people who are just rated disabled without retirement have to pay back.

Hi folks, there is a new update at Military.com looks pretty good for us.Still can't understand it.

Where did you see the latest? in the Veterans Issues or the Retiree section at mil.com- I cant find it-

Hi Berta, today's issue front page Disabled Retired Pay, half way down front page. Aug. 4th.

mrstix

THANKS- dont know how I could miss it-

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,108479,00.html

I still don't understand exactly what they have in mind here-

CRDP and CRSC got messed up from the git go- I sure hope they straighten it all out-

each claim for these benefits was unique- so I am surprised that

"The number of retirees who qualify for retroactive payment rises monthly, at least by the number of retirees who apply for and begin receiving disability compensation. That will continue until VA and DoD begin their computer programs to identify and fully compensate those who have been underpaid."

BEGIN their computer programs? I think a lot of this was done early on by each service branch by having people using a hand held calculator or maybe the pencil and paper way-to figure this stuff out-

no good co-ordination at all between VA and DFAS- my opinion only-

But All retirees potentially due more money should sure follow this news-

Berta

A quick example. I am retired Af. Filed in Aug 04 Received 60 percent in aug 05 did not receive any extra money till Sept 05. VA kept every dime. Did A NOD ( thanks to you who taught me how.) Raised to 70 percent recivwed no back pay at all. Hopefull I will recive a few thousand bucks

Jim