VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retirees Due Back Pay

Rate this question

mrstix

Question

Good morning all. Has anyone seen the article on www.Military.com about CRSC and CRDP due back pay?

Is this a fact or just speculation, sure would be nice if correct. If so what would it be from, it's a pretty confusing article. Any Info: on this would be great, from you all. Have a good day.

mrstix 25 years retired

50% s.c. CRDP

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just caught this myself and am trying to digest it-

I have absolutely no doubt that there must be potential retro for many affected vets as in this article-

CRSC and CRDP applications were often messed up right from the git go-

another thing-

they do not seem to have a built in way of dealing with this scenario-

vet gets VA SC for 100 % combat related disabilities-for years-----

vet gets CUE from VARO that they erred- vet was Not in combat-no SC disabilties

vet attempts to prove his case and nothing supports it-the VASC is dropped.

vet STILL gets CRSC!!!!

true case-figure that out-

For anyone this might affect please go to:

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,105439,00.html

This is important info!

I read and reread the article but can't make any sense of it as it applies to retirees. The only thing I can see that retirees might be entitled to is amended tax returns for computation errors. Non retired Vets can get retro pay.

If anyone can explain it to my advantage I sure would like to see it.

They are discussing this at Military.com

http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?q=Y...,105439,00.html

You might have to join to get into this discussion-

I agree that this is difficult to interpret.

Let me take a stab. Money figures are just examples for easy reading.

Retired vet files claim in Jan 05. Claim is denied in Aug 05. Nod submitted. Claim is awarded at 50 percent level in June 06 with effective date of 1 Jan 05.

According to law - current - Vet is egible for CRDP of 200.00 month from 1 Jan 05 but DFAS nor VA honored this law. What happened was vet was awarded 600.00 per month VA disability effective 1 Jan 05 but VA withheld payment of the entire 600.00 until 1 July 06 since vet had already drawn retirement pay.

In reality VA should have only withheld 400.00 since vet was authorized 200.00 month in CRDP payments. However, CRDP is a DFAS/DoD issue and not a VA issue. However, DFAS would not/did not recompute retirement pay so vet would be paid his 200.00 CRDP payments.

End result - Vet waived the entire 600.00 amount when in reality according to the law he/she should have only had to waive 400.00 per month. So vet got cheated out of 200.00 permonth for 18 months equaling 3600.00.

The problem came in when the law was implemented it read "for any month a veteran is authorized both retirement pay and va disability pay" crdp was to be paid. VA said ain't my problem, DFAS said we ain't paying until VA notifies us and we ain't paying no back (their bad interpertation of the law). The law makers when they read the implementing instructions issued by VA and DFAS forgot that it sometimes takes VA 2-5 years to approve a claim. End result - Vet gets screwed so now they are trying to correct the problem.

We will all have to wait on the DFAS press release before any of us fully understand what is going on. Just don't spend any money that you don't have. If it shows up in your deposit spend it.

Ricky

Guest Dataman

It won't apply unless your on CRSC. Not CRDP. What a strange mess they have with all these half a programs.

Someday maby they will just pay our retired pay....

DM

Dataman - I questioned DFAS via telephone and was told that it affected both CRSC and CRDP receipents. The original article also stated that back pay was due to CRSC and CRDP receipents. Just so happens that the gentleman that got the ball rolling on the issue was a CRSC guy. Do you have anything that states that it will only apply to CRSC guys? Just wondering.

Ricky