VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hereditary Angioedema In The Usmc?

Rate this question

Tanker

Question

Hello all! I will start off by saying that i do no have issues with the VA as of right now, but moreso some questions. I am still currently in the USMC. I've been in for sometime and have served in OIF and have just under two years remaining on my contract. I enjoy the Corps. and people I've come across along the way. Before my deployment, my mother was diagnosed with Hereditary Angioedema (HAE). I was informed about what it was, symptoms, and that i too could possibly have it. However it is roughly 2 and a half years later and still have not been tested for it. Reason being, i didn't wan't to miss my deployment, and leave my brothers, and most of all, leave the Corps. I do not know if i have it or not. I have never had the acute attacks, but looking at pictures, i may have had a few outbreaks of the rash's that also come with HAE. (again not confirmed). I considered getting tested privately and keeping the results to myself, but had fear of having an acute attack at work and getting a dishonorable due to me having knowledge of the disease. I haven't had an attack, and felt confident that i would at least make it until the end of my contract. But this changed last night when my mother was hospitalized from an attack in the throat. It was a scary ordeal for my whole family, and me especially knowing that this could be potentially lurking around the corner. So i am putting it into action to get tested. NOW my questions (finally) are if i do have it, is it an automatic discharge, and will i be covered for any kind of medical bills for being diagnosed while in service? Don't get me wrong, i am not looking to cheat the system for a hereditary disease, i just have no real idea what i'm doing and what options i have still being in service. Any feedback is much appreciated, and from looking at other forums it seems like "Hoppy" may be knowledgeable with this topic?

Tanker

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello all,

I have been searching on the net about HAE and the VA and this forum is really all I've ever found. A little about me I completed my contract with the Army in 2009 after a deployment to Iraq. I got out hoping that I could continue serving my country in the Coast Guard... After a year of waiting around I was sent to recruit training in Cape May where I was quickly given the boot and diagnosed with HAE. I had no idea that I had this disease I thought it was allergies. I was absolutely crushed ever since I came home I've been fighting bouts of depression and I guess ptsd symptoms. I havn't gone to the VA because I'm worried I'll screw it up I am really in need of some guidance here. After I was given the boot I started realizing that my lip, lymph nodes,

feet, and sometimes lower back swelling always happened when I was a little more stressed than usual. Lately it's been several times a month. I failed my hearing test several times trying to join the CG luckily the girl working the booth was sympathetic and let me take it until I "passed". I havn't gone and gotten it actually verified but my hearing scores are pretty different from when I first joined and my wife constantly makes fun of my lack of hearing. I also had stress fractures in both lower legs which are definitely in my records bone scans and all. I also have plantar faciatis? they said because of my legs getting so bad. I'm only 25 and I feel like there shouldn't be anything wrong with me but I'm starting to realize I need to get over it and get some help.

I am absolutely clueless as to how I should go about getting my act together to even file a claim any help would be greatly appreciated.