VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ailment Found During C&p Exam

Rate this question

Wartorn

Question

During a recent C&P exam for my initial claim I was found to have Hypertension. This was news to me and I am glad that I am aware of it but it wasn’t one of my original contentions. Is this something that the VA will add into my claim this time around or will I have to wait until the dust settles on my initial claim and then file a new claim with this new ailment? I am still under a year out from retiring.

I do have a claim in for Anxiety, would the fact that I now have Hypertension strengthen that claim or maybe be secondary to it?

I appreciate any guidance on this, Thank you.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

See a Doc about it. A C&P cannot do anything about new medical conditions except tell you sometimes.

Since this is an Initial C&P they should add it to the claim and adjudicate it (chronic condition diagnosed withing the first year after discharge). Here is where you need to ask yourself some questions.

1. Did they diagnose Hypertension or did they tell you your blood pressure was high. If they didn't do the proper number or readings they will fall back on insuficient exam.

2. Just because the VA is supposed to do something doesn't mean they will.

3. Should I see another doctor for a work up on this and have a second source of medical facts? I am a retiree and should be able to see a doctor at minimal cost - is it worth it?

4. If I wait to file until after the initial claim is decided are they going to argue about it occuring within one year of discharge (see #1 again on is it a diagnosis or mention of a high reading).

Hypertension if controlled with medication (and having the requisite readings before or during treatment) rates out at 10% Higher rates are available but usually indicate uncontrolled hypertension. SC is important for you because of other health conditions it can cause.

If it was me in this case, I would wait but be sure to send them something prior to the year deadline from ETS/retirement. My reasoning is if they have done the C&P they could be ready to rate, if you explicitly request it and the C&P is insufficient to rate the Hypertension they may kick it back to development for this issue.

Do what you think is best for your claim!

Best regards,

• HadIt.com Elder

A question that can only be answered with a written C&P copy - -

What did the examiner actually write down about it?

Based upon that - -

The VA MAY automatically consider hypertension, and rate it.

Or, the RO may IGNORE it completely.

It seems to me that getting a copy of the C&P results (assuming you don't get into deadlines) will help deciding what to do next.

The VA is supposed to:

1. Assume the Veteran is seeking the maximum benefit.

2. Adjuticate any "informal claims" for increase, reviewing the "entire record". This does not mean they will go "fishing" through your medical records to see if you have any unclaimed maladies, however.

I recommend you submit a 21-4138 asking for an increase for hypertension and cite the C and P exam as evidence of a current disability.

A "one time" hypertension reading will not necessarily mean you have hypertension. You can have hi blood pressure when doing certain activities, and this does not mean you have chronic hi blood pressure nor does it necessarily mean you need treatment for the disease.

However, if you have hi blood pressure for 19 of 20 days, your blood pressure is too high.

Thanks for the advice folks. I am in the middle of my C&P exam process. I had the first of two exams, 12 days ago, that’s when my BP readings alarmed the medical folks and I had to complete the 4 day, multi arm checks. All four days readings came back in the hypertension ranges, I realize that it is not a conclusive medical diagnoses but the evidence does appear to lean that way. Looking through my med records I do have significant evidence showing a long history of HB readings throughout my time in service, just no diagnoses from a medical professional, they just threw Lipitor at me.

I have more C&P exams in the next few days for other contentions so according to what I am reading this may still have a chance of making it into my claim.

I have sought out a private Doctor to address this issue because I have become kind of attached to my heart and wouldn’t mind if it continues to do its job.

I appreciate all of the input.