VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange: Alphabetized Ships List

Rate this question

carlie

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Agent Orange: Alphabetized Ships List

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/list.asp

Can you get "extra points" for being in multiple parts of the list? (Hah!)

Mobile Riverine Force (River Rats, TF117)

ISF Division 93 (Inshore Fire Support)

listed designations

LCVP

LST

All of the above and Named ships as well.

When I filed the first claim, I proved "feet on ground" with records, since the VA was insisting that even "Brown Water" sailors had to show evidence of

"feet on ground". Proving that went around the whole Blue/Brown Water issue.

The first "simple" claim was approved, and other unclaimed but documented conditions ignored.

I ended up specifically claiming them (Denied) Then the Nehmer review came along and changed the whole ball game.

There was even a snide comment against the denying VARO, disguised in governmental-ease.

SSA had rated me as 100% disabled, in about six months, and the VA spent over six years fighting about it.

SSA rated the 100% on conditions that the Nehmer board ruled service connected.

Now, It's continue the fight to get the % raised on conditions not "used up" in the 100% ruling.

An additional 10 or 20% puts me in sight of SMC compensation.

Edited by Chuck75

FYI

VA has also acknowledged that Agent Orange was, in some instances, used in the Kingdom of Thailand and has developed specific procedures to determine whether a veteran was exposed to herbicides in locations other than the Republic of Vietnam or along the DMZ in Korea. See VA's Adjudication Procedure Manual, M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 1, Section H, para. 5-7. Additionally, effective June 19, 2015, VA amended its regulation governing individuals presumed to have been exposed to certain herbicides by expanding the regulation to include an additional group consisting of individuals who performed service in the Air Force or Air Force Reserve under circumstances in which they had regular and repeated contact with C-123 aircraft known to have been used to spray an herbicide agent during the Vietnam era. Specifically, the new regulation states that an individual who performed service in the Air Force or Air Force Reserve under circumstances in which the individual concerned regularly and repeatedly operated, maintained, or served onboard C-123 aircraft known to have been used to spray an herbicide agent during the Vietnam era shall be presumed to have been exposed during such service to an herbicide agent. For purposes of this section, "regularly and repeatedly operated, maintained or served onboard C-123 aircraft" means that the individual was assigned to an Air Force or Air Force Reserve squadron when the squadron was permanently assigned one of the affected aircraft and the individual had an Air Force Specialty Code indicating duties as a flight, ground maintenance, or medical crew member of such aircraft. 38 C.F.R. § 3.307(a)(6)(v). Despite the foregoing, the United Stated Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit held that when a veteran is found not to be entitled to a regulatory presumption of service connection for a given disability the claim must nevertheless be reviewed to determine whether service connection can be established on a direct basis. Combee v. Brown, 34 F.3d 1039, 1043-1044 (Fed.Cir.1994), rev'g in part Combee v. Principi, 4 Vet. App. 78 (

Comes from the Board of Veteran Appeals

Yes, this Thailand directive is solely due to the very first AO Thailand veteran, Kurt Priessman, a member here and who we have interviewed many times on our radio shows over the years..

The work Kurt did was remarkable and has helped many attain AO comp.

We also have links here to Wes Carter and the C 123 situation.

Vets have proven AO exposure in Okinawa, Guam, and other places as well.

Thanks for reminding all here that the AO was never limited to Vietnam.

I will check to see if the VA has added to the VA AO ships list and post that info here if it is different from my last link to it.

It still remains to be updated:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/list.asp

Veterans themselves have caused this list to grow, by proving their ships or vessels, etc ,were exposed to AO.

There is an updated ship list from the VA as of November 2018 - not available online yet but I called and they emailed it to me. My dad's ship is still not included, but I believe it should fall into category III (ships that docked to port in Vietnam), as my father is positive that it did on many occasions and that he went on shore for work details. Anyone have any info on how to go about making and winning such a claim with the VA?

He must have one or more of the AO presumptives and then take the steps in this article from VA.

The VA has this info at their site as to proving a ship should be on the list:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/not-on-list.asp

Many if not most of those ships are there because veterans did all they could to prove what the list involves.

If you think your ship should be on the list and you are not filing a claim, you may conduct your own research and submit documentary evidence to VA.

Documentary evidence includes deck logs, ship histories, and cruise book entries. You may obtain ship deck logs from the National Archives at College Park, Maryland.

This evidence must show the ship entering the inland waterways of Vietnam, docking in Vietnam, or otherwise sending crew members ashore. A ship that anchored in an open water harbor, such as Da Nang Harbor, is not sufficient evidence for the presumption of Agent Orange exposure.

You must scan your documentary evidence and email it to the Veterans Benefits Administration's Compensation Service at 211_AOSHIPS.VBACO@va.gov. Emails sent to this email address are not secure. Please do not include personal data.” (source- above link)

The November 2018 AO Ships list is on line:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-postservice-agent_orange.asp

Does he have his complete SMRS and also his inservice Personnel Records?

Has he ever googled is Unit on line? Most if not all units have websites and often have reunion rosters or "looking for" areas whereby he might be able to find a buddy, who served on the ship with him and who also might have some suggestions.

Many Blue Water veterans ( as you know the Blue Water AO bill is stuck in the Senate and it's future does not look good) have been awarded AO disability based on being on the AO ships list- but it took veterans a lot of leg work to even get this list- which grows from time to time.

What was the ship's name and where , in Vietnam, did she dock? and when?

What was your dad's MOS?