VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reps Program

Rate this question

grent

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Here is the application form:

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/form_detail.asp?FormNo=21-8924

Here is a site with a little more informaiton:

http://www.etsu.edu/reg/veteransaffairs/certification/reps.aspx

It is my understanding that if you have a spouse that is disabled with Social Security and you have a child under 18 you recieve a payment if you also do not work. For example my husand is 100% SC'ed and alspo recieves SSD. We have a child together. I do not work I stay home and look after my husband and raise our daughter (I also attend College fulltime online through the VA Chapter 35). Because I do not earn enough taxable income Social Security gives me a certain amount each month to help pay the bills. The amount that our family gets is split evenly between me and my daughter. When she turns 16 I no longer recieve my portion but my daughter will continue to recieve her portion until she is 18. The REPS program through the VA effectively reinstates my portion until my daughter turns 18. So I end up getting the extra two years, it would just come from VA instead of social security. My daughter portion from SS continues unchanged (until she turns 18). That is my understanding of the REPS benefits.

Great post, Hawk.

I noticed you had to go to the Tennessee Vets website to get info on Reps...that the VA convienently "forgot" to have a web page for "Reps" on the va.gov website.

The Reps program is a great example of how the VA has these "secret benefits"...that only their chosen few know about.

I did a "search" on the VA website for "Reps". Altho the search did have about 10 pages of hits, these are mostly buried in case law, with absolutely no page on "how to apply for Reps".

Hawkfire -that was an excellent explanation of how SSA benefits are involved in REPs determinations.

But REPS is not paid unless the criteria or the veteran's death is met.I need to clarify this for anyne reading these posts.

This BVA decision shows what I mean :

http://www.va.gov/vetapp99/files4/9931875.txt

The decision reveals the widow had been granted DIC.

But the decision also states the criteria for REPS had not been met:

“FINDING OF FACT

1. The veteran did not die on active duty prior to August 13,

2. The veteran did not die of a service-connected disability

that was incurred or aggravated prior to August 13, 1981. “

I can read between the lines on this decision to conclude that the widow was awarded DIC under Section 1151 38 USC due to VA misdiagnosis and negligence.

In 1998 I was awarded Section 1151 DIC and was not eligible for REPs.

In 2009 however I was awarded direct service connected death of my husband due to DMII from AO causing and contributing to IHD and CVA.

That made me eligible for REPS.

If that claim had not succeedd, the award I received Monday (IHD due to AO and Section 1151 CVA rated under CUE claim award, would have rendered me eligible for REPS anyhow.

REPS as I understand it, is not an ancillary benefit under the 38 USC 1318 Ten Year DIC rule.

“The Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors, enacted by

Congress in 1982, provides for the payment of benefits to

certain surviving spouses and children of former members of

the Armed Forces. The Restored Entitlement Program for

Survivors benefits replaced certain Social Security benefits

that were either reduced or terminated by the Omnibus Budget

Act of 1981. See generally 38 C.F.R.§ 3.812 (1999). In

ascertaining a claimant's eligibility for entitlement to

benefits under the Restored Entitlement Program for

Survivors, the provisions of 38 C.F.R.§ 3.812 require that a

determination first be made that the person on whose death

the claim is based, either died on active duty prior to

August 13, 1981, or died as a result of a service-connected

disability that was incurred or aggravated prior to August

13, 1981.”

Source : above BVA decision and this is also on the REPS application

PS some children as survivors are also eligible for REPs if they continue their education after high school .

My daughter joined the military right after high school so I don't know how those benefits work.

If I find something about that I will post it here.

I only knew of REPs because of NVLSPs VBM which I have purchased since 1991.

My former Vet reps had noknowledge whatsoever of this program.

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is the application form:

http://www.va.gov/va...?FormNo=21-8924

Here is a site with a little more informaiton:

http://www.etsu.edu/...ation/reps.aspx

Not sure on the REPS thing but a spouse receives an SS benefit until the child is 16 yo because she/he is considered the child's caretaker and is responsible for the child when the child comes home from school (SS doesn't feel a child under 16 yo can be home alone after school). I don't think working has anything to do w/it. At 16 yo, the payment stops to the parent but is added to the child's payment until the child is 18 yo.

pr

It is my understanding that if you have a spouse that is disabled with Social Security and you have a child under 18 you recieve a payment if you also do not work. For example my husand is 100% SC'ed and alspo recieves SSD. We have a child together. I do not work I stay home and look after my husband and raise our daughter (I also attend College fulltime online through the VA Chapter 35). Because I do not earn enough taxable income Social Security gives me a certain amount each month to help pay the bills. The amount that our family gets is split evenly between me and my daughter. When she turns 16 I no longer recieve my portion but my daughter will continue to recieve her portion until she is 18. The REPS program through the VA effectively reinstates my portion until my daughter turns 18. So I end up getting the extra two years, it would just come from VA instead of social security. My daughter portion from SS continues unchanged (until she turns 18). That is my understanding of the REPS benefits.

Edited by Philip Rogers

Right, unless the working income is very high, I guess that might make a difference on the SSA surivor's benefits but, actually I dont believe it would.

I was a livestock farmer during part of the time I received the SSDI parent's benefit and that generated an income.

(plus some good beef,lamb, goats meat and fabulous chicken dinners.)

I dont think SSA ever asked me for any personal income statement regarding these parents benefits or even for the survivor 's SSA benefits I get.

I asked my tax man about the initial reduced benefit as a SSA survivor benefit at age 60 or should I wait until 65 to get the full SSA survivor amount and he advised (even my lawyer did too) to take the reduced benefit at 60.