VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Ptsd Rating That I Don't Want

Rate this question

Koalabiter

Question

WARNING, LONG POST

I'll go ahead and clear the air here; I know this is going to upset a lot of Veterans that have been seeking a strong rating and have been denied. My apologies, I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here.

Here's the situation:

I am a full-time educator who has been working for several months (successfully). I was at a 50% PTSD rating for the the past four years, but recently went in for my re-evaluation. Terrified of the outcome and possible reduction, I went in prepared; I had my list of symptoms, I wrote down the worst days I've had recently, and I was open and honest with the evaluator. Today, I received notice that my rating for PTSD and depression has been raised to 100%.

The money would be nice. I have a family and am expecting another child soon, but I still don't want this rating.

I need to work. Structure and implied hierarchies rule my life. I have a routine that I daily and any deviation from this ruins the entire day. If they took my job away, I would genuinely lose it. . .

Here are the reasons I want to lose this rating:

1. I'm terrified of losing my routine and know full well that a new one wouldn't be good for me. The paycheck from the VA would be more than I could make at my job (teachers have a salary ladder) until about five years from now. If I have this much money coming in, I'll get stuck in a rut that I will never break free from.

2. I'm terrified about coming to grips with my condition. Yes, I have some problems. No, I don't think they are severe enough to warrant this decision. I'm able to work. I need to work. If I don't contribute something to the world then I'm lost. I know Vets who cannot function in daily society, and I'm not one of them. I don't want to take away from the people who really need this benefit.

3. I'm worried what others think. Yes, I know it's shallow, but I spend the majority of my time analyzing others. One of my conditions is that I've lost the ability to respond well socially; I'm emotionally numb unless I'm chemically altered. With a 50% rating, my friends, family (and possibly employers) think I've got a "little baggage." With 100%, I doubt they could ever look at me the same. Those that love me will question whether I'm going to do something drastic, and those who don't will judge me and may think I'm faking.

I'm grateful that the VA took the time and genuinely listened to me, but I think they're overdone it. Can anyone tell me how to rectify this situation? I don't want benefits I don't believe I'm entitled to. I don't want the VA to think I inflated my condition for profit, and I don't want to lose the one thing that keeps me from crawling into a hole (job).

How long can i continue to work before they come after me? I'd at least like to finish up the school year. If I break contract (even though it would be for good reason) I would really destroy my chances of ever teaching again. It's a small town, who would hire me after that?

Thanks for all the help.

As long as you continue to honestly report your income (each year the VA will send a VA Form), why not let the VA make the decision to propose a change? ~Wings

I don't see that VA will send him an income verification form - he's 100 % scheduler - not IU.

I plan on appealing, but don't want to have to quit work in the meantime.

Koal,

This would not be something to appeal.

Do you have a service officer ?

Perhaps it would help you decide what to do if you went and talked

with a service officer.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

Koalabiter - unless you have stated to them that you are "unemployable" there is no reason to do anything. The criteria listed for someone rated 100% schedular, for a mental disorder, includes terms that suggest the person can't work, however one does not need to meet all the criteria, to be rated 100% schedular. As long as you have done nothing that could be construed as being fraudulent, I'd continue to work and accept their rating & compensation. "They've" decided you are 100% schedular, not you. Now if the rating is "TDIU" then my recommendation would be different.

As Chuck75 mentioned you can be 100% schedular and work. No where does it specify that you can't work if rated 100% schedular, for a mental disorder.

At worst, the VA will reevaluate you at a later date and then propose a reduction. I, personally, think you are safe. You can always bank the money, in a separate account, if you feel you could end up having to pay it back. I have never heard of a case where someone rated 100% schedular was prosecuted for working. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't see that VA will send him an income verification form - he's 100 % scheduler - not IU.

You're right. No VA Forms, and he says in the title he's also Permanent and Total. SO, that means no re-exams either.