VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Without Me?

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never heard of it being done though, I have heard of claims being granted based on current medical evidence on record, but if a C&P exam is scheduled and the veteran is not present for it, it is more normal for the VARO to deny the claim based on the missed C&P exam.

It could be the prior exam was insufficient and an opinion was needed based on the evidence since the part with the vet was already done. Or it could be conflicting evidence from exam and evidence of record, or doctor notes from previous exam. Or it could just be clarification, all of which the veteran is nit needed.

MikeS,

I just had one, or should say, they had one without me. I found out that I had missed a C&P when I had an appointment at my local VA for a blood draw. The receptionist told me, "I see here you missed your C&P yesterday". I said "what are you talking about". She again told me that I had missed my C&P. I immediately telephoned the office of the doctor and spoke to his receptionist/scheduler and he told me that in fact there was a C&P for me the day before, however, if was a records C&P and that I would not have attended and or would not have been notified.

More importantly, the reason the clinic showed me as a no-show, was the doctor has to make two separate entries into the computer system to clear my no-show when it is a records only C&P and in my instance he only made one entry and I did show up as a no-show. Now I show as "kept appointment".

Call or visit you local clinic or any VA medical facility that can pull up you file and have then check that date and see if you, "kept appointment" or are marked "no-show". That will tell the tale...

Hamslice

This sounds like some manipulations behind your back. If it were me, I would prepare for battle. I would order a copy of my C file, just to brace for a possible reduction, especially if your disability percentage is high, say over 70 percent.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Yes, bizarre C&P scheduling issues can happen to you and they can happen to you more than once.

When I requested an increase in my asthma rating, I pointed out the VAMC treatment visits which qualified me for a higher rating. The VARO sent me an award letter a couple of months later and continued to work on my other claims. No C&P visit at all.

Now for my C&P appointments that get screwed up through no fault of my own. I was at the VAMC receiving treatment and the clinic clerk told me that I had a C&P appt scheduled for the same time as my other appt. I went over to the C&P clinic and they said a notification letter was sent, but I never received it. They saw the appointments were double-booked and I was rescheduled for a week later. Later when I got home, a C&P notification letter dated the day before was in my mailbox telling me about the C&P appointment scheduled for earlier that morning. The envelope was postmarked one day earlier.

Back in the 90's things with the VAMC were a lot different, but the VAMC also pulled the same deal that they did to Hamslice. The C&P clinic said I missed my appointment, even though I never received notification. Imagine that... They told me that if I don't show up then I lose my claim. I met with the person in charge with the clinic and they did not want to reschedule because missing C&P appointments was a bad problem and they were cracking down on no-shows. After a long back and forth, they realized it was my first C&P ever and rescheduled me a month later. No apologies for cranking up my blood pressure and making me upset. I talked with my county service officer and he told me my letter was probably never mailed out and in all likelihood it probably was filed in the trashcan. He had a dozen vets who experienced the same problem.