VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I received a letter from the VA today. The new counselor stated that I was hard to get ahold of, and that I was aggressive with the contractors and they didn't think it would be safe for them in my home. She indicated she was not going to provide the home study and as far as she is concerned my program is completed. The letter gave me 30 days to respond by mail or contact by phone and set up an appointment with a staff member to discuss the issue. If I don't respond within thirty days, I will have one year to appeal the decision.

Ok guys I don't get this ... How can someone be to aggressive with contracted home study personal if you have never seen them face to face. And what regulation covers the requirements of the home study.

Frankly, this one is a real surprise to me .. it makes me look like the bad guy... but I honestly I never expected much from them anyway. Now I am at the point that I really don't want to deal with these people, but when they write something like this and put it in your record a response is necessary.. regardless of what I may say or do, my record is tarnished for life. I think this is a hard one to overcome. Mind you , I sit in a wheelchair with supplemental oxygen.. I am more of a threat to myself than anyone else....

Any suggestions?

Well its official, the VA has decided to deny me any reasonable ILP services, told me to reapply at a later date if my disabilities get worse.. This program suck, and discriminates against veterans because no two veterans living in different areas receive the same consideration. I used to think that people at the VA actually cared about helping the veteran, but frankly I don't think any of them care... they are in it for their selves and no one else and if they can screw a veteran in the process well that's just one more case that they can brag to their co-workers to see who outdid who....