VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Took me four years and four Voc Reps. One was good the rest not worth the powder to blow up.

But I got more than I thought I could. There favorite tactic is sending you on quests that are not needed

I met with the VA Occupation therapist on 8 June.

First he informed me that San Antonio does not do the In home evaluations because of a local directive and the way it was worded, he indicated they haven't done home visits for about three years, but that in the future they should start back. I responded that It would be nice if the damn VA provided the same exact service to all veterans in all areas, he agreed with me but of course he doesn't make the rules.

He told me that I did not need to go thru ILP to receive his services, that all they reqire is a referal from my Pripary care doctor. I am thinking great this is going to be a waste of time.

He told me that all the items I will receive thru him come from the prosthetic department or he will make a request to order some items if he thinks they are necessary to improve my standard of living.

He stated the local va will not give Tempur-Pedic mattress, he indicated the only bed I could get would be a Hospital bed.

He indicated the va does not give lift chairs out anymore, and haven't for a long time, but that if I had a recliner he would provide some kind of base that will raise it up so that I can get out of the chair.

He said he would get for me a dual tens unit and muscle stimulator unit to help manage my back pain.. ( big deal $100 and I got one from tricare )...

He is willing to get me a shower chair, so what it's plastic and wont fit in my 4x4 shower...($50.00)

he is willing to get me some kind of extender so that I can put my sox on, and another one to wipe my butt, when my back is so bad that I cannot twist, again so F**king what... another few dollars....

He is checking into getting me a new phone system to work with my hearing aids.. I asked for this.. but he made no promises..

He is checking on getting me a visual door bell ringer.. I asked for this but again no pronises.

He agrees that with my lung problems I needed a hepa filter, but he will not get a whole house filter system, just one to move from room to room, which I think is a waste...

He will recomend a small riding lawn mower, but he said it will not be provided, said I should just keep paying $100 a month for lawn service..

He refused a front lawn sprinkler system, but stated he would check on a programable robot type sprinkler system .. of course this serves no useful purpose if I still have to roll out on to the lawn to place a sprinkler and hose...

That it folks a big freaken joke.. VA makes me Puke everytime I think about them.

Bottom line, if a veteran doesn't need an ILP program to see this guy.. than it seems I am not getting an ILP..what a waste of time and effort... but then I expected no less

I have to say the counselor was a stand up guy, he respected me, listened to me and tried to offer advise, but overall it was still a waste of my time.....

will wait to speak to the ILP counselor, should be interested to see what she has to say

• HadIt.com Elder

The purpose I have for posting what I got is so that other Vets would know what is available to other Veterans. All the things he told you are things that he won't do and if you ask me he is not providing the service that is owed to you and other Veterans in SA. In fact may I go so far to say that he sucks at his job.

Anything you ask for and does not provide is appeal able and should be. The hearing aids for telephones should go through the people who do hearing aids not him. I got tempurpedic bed and I will comment that it has helped me a great deal with many sleep issues.

The prosthetic department can help with grants and that is not a bad thing either. Maybe you should ask your Social Worker at your VA clinic to do an evaluation on what would help you in your home and use it to appeal any lame decisions. Remember when they deny you only have thirty days to appeal.

Good Luck

My Voc Rehab started out on the same tract as yours.

Man I can't believe it!

Today a package came from Patterson Medical and in it was a "hip replacement Kit" it consist of a claw to reach items, a shoe horn with long handle, a plastic cradle with rope and foam handles in which to place socks on then pull the sox's up and finally a foam rubber sponge with a long handle ( back sponge). what a bunch of garbage.. and a deal at $34.99.

Along with this was a packing slip that listed the following items to come in seperate shippments:

Bottom budy ( to wipe my ass, how gross) $39.95 wasted

Soapy soles 3 in 1 elite foot washer (for the shower) $14.95 wasted

Deluxe pedal exercise ( hand crank for table top) $230.00 more junk and waste

Stand easy chair lift (4 pieces of plastic to put under my recliner that raise the chiar 2 inches) more junk $49.95

Bariatic shower and commode chair $250.00 and in the trash it will go...

Finally a generic brand room air purifier $375.00 well this will go on ebay but its not for me....

The only thing I asked for here was a hepa filer system for the house....

$994.00 wasted and still no ILP I suspect they think this junk will make me happy, but it just pisses me off.

I think I am going to refuse all but the air purifier, and just say return to sender.. then I am going to let the ILP counselor know that this is not acceptable....

Man I am so angry my glasses have fogged up!.. Damn VA think they can crap all over us..

• HadIt.com Elder

Why not take it back to them and say that this does not help.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, I've added Independent Living Program (ILP) to Ebenefits as things I need to avoid.