VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp

Rate this question

Teac

Question

I received a phone call on 30 Jan from the San Antonio sub-office, of the Houston Regional Office. I was informed that they will approve an ILP for me. She went on to say that they must wait until they receive my Vocational rehabilation file from Georgia, before they can actually put anything in writing.

I already had one period of ILP in 2000 when the va paid for a e-machine computer and printer, and three intro to computer classes. I lived in NC back then. When I lived in Killeen Texas in 2005 I requested another period of ILP due to worsing medical issues and I was approved for a new ILP. Before my ILP was drafted and put in writing I moved to Augusta Georgia were for almost two years the va made all kinds of promises, but never deliverd any plain in writing, and I never received anything. The va indicated that I refused further counseling so they terminated the program... I answered how do you terminate something that was never put in writing...

So Now it looks like I will get a new program.. I am excited... but I requested the ILp on a whim after reading about Pete's ILP.

My needs have changed a lot since 2005 when I first wanted an ILP... Now I am not sure about what I should ask for .

I know the program is to help me become more independant in daily living.. but.. what does that really mean... considering I am on oxygen 24/7 and in a wheelchair due to a spinal and leg injury.

I would enjoy woodworking and I just had a new 10x12 shed built to use as a shop. I do need some new tools but I wonder if they will provide them or if they will say that the ILP if for something I have never done... Or will they deny something like woodworking because I am on oxygen.

I also wonder if they will provide a service dog, ( in 2005 the counselor in georgia said no dogs).

Does anyone have any Ideas as to how I can benefit from the program, or what I could ask for? I want to be prepared when I have my first meeting with the va counselor....

Wow, I have so may questions I don't know were to start.....

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete53 - can you post where that's from?? I can't see them allowing only 30 days. I believe you have one yr on most VA decisions, until you get to the final decision by the BVA and then the court makes the rules. jmo

pr

Watch your deadlines you only have 30 days to appeal the ILP decision. If it were me I would ask for a hearing just to be double safe.

I don't know for sure but it is possible that your only appeal is straight to BVA. Please double check on deadlines.

In the decision that I received regarding my claim being closed, the VRC wrote "if I don't hear from you by xx/xx/xx (30 days from date of letter being sent out), your case will be moved to discontinued status". I have ignored this, as I have an email sent to me earlier that same day, granting me an in-home assessment. I didn't wait to get the letter, and contacted Ms. Fanning's office, an a VRC there sent my complaint to Nashville RO, and then *poof* - action on my claim.

I know I am going to have to fight tooth and nail, but that's OK by me.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's one of their generalized letters that you have one yr to decide but if nothing is heard within 30 days they will make a decision, based on the evidence of record. Claimants rarely realize that evidence submitted after the 30 days requires an additional decision, by the RO, based on the subsequently submitted evidence. I believe what happens is when evidence is submitted around or after the 30 days, the VA just ignores it and not knowing any better the claimants don't pursue the claim. jmo

pr

In the decision that I received regarding my claim being closed, the VRC wrote "if I don't hear from you by xx/xx/xx (30 days from date of letter being sent out), your case will be moved to discontinued status". I have ignored this, as I have an email sent to me earlier that same day, granting me an in-home assessment. I didn't wait to get the letter, and contacted Ms. Fanning's office, an a VRC there sent my complaint to Nashville RO, and then *poof* - action on my claim.

I know I am going to have to fight tooth and nail, but that's OK by me.

• HadIt.com Elder

All I can share about the 30 days is my own case when I appealed denial of fee service. I was told that if I did not appeal withinn 30 days it was over. I was also told that if you have a hearing you have to go straight to BVA if turned down or not acceptable and it may or may not have the 30 day rule.

I wish I could post the reg PR but its been awhile and I don't know if I could find it.If anyone on Hadit has the info please post it.

Technically my program was placed in a stop status, and unless I do something to refute the decision before 30 days the claim will be closed.

I already wrote and submitted the letter for an administrative review of the record. In the meantime the counselor has called and asked me to come in tomorrow and discuss the issues I have raised. She is well aware of my letter, because I told her about it in email prior to my sending it. During the call she raised the issue of HISA , administrated by Proshetics and the Home Adaptive grant.

I informed her that I don't want to use what litte adaptive grant I have left because when I sell my home next year and downside I will need those funds to modify the new home. I also informed her I used the HISA 7 years ago. She indicated the Hisa grant has been increased since then. Frankly I don't need a ILP to use these programs either, but I know that they are required to cover all bases.

They are using some time tested arguements to deny what I have requested. For example, I have been told the prosthetics department will not issued any type of bed except hospital beds, and that they stopped giving lift chairs 4 years ago.. My answer to them was that the ILP supplies that may be approved are not limited to what prosthetics normally stocks. I told them to get that governemnt credit card out and get me what I asked for.

They also claim that a riding lawn mower will hinder my breathing problems, I indicated the occupational therapist they required me to see isn't qualified to make such an assement. If he actually thinks this then send me to a medical doctor and let them make that assessment.

I asked for a whole house Hepa filter system and they sent me one that is for 700 Sq feet, and told me to move it from room to room. I let her know that he darn thing doesn't have wheels, and that I live in the whole house not just one room, and that such a request to tell me to move it from room to room is unreasonable.

They sent me a shower chair that is wider than my shower and told me because of my weight I was stuck with it,. I told them that they make heavy duty shower chairs that will fit my shower.

They sent me a bottom buddy, ( disgusting to talk about) never asked for it... and a few other trinkets that I never asked for.

I let her know that so far everything I have received is available outside of an ILP through normal medical channesl.. I ask her when she was going to grant something that I can't get except through the program.

She has indicated that she can't give me anything that was nor recommended by the therapist, and that her hands are tied, I sent her copies of VAOPGCPREC 6-2001 and VAOPGCPREC 34-97,thru email and informed her that veterans all over the US are getting Greenhouses, lawnmowers, beds, lift chairs, etc... and that I expect to be receive the same services to include a proper homestudy just like any other veteran.

I think she is a nice, lady, but I think she blows smoke because that is what she has been told to do. It is so easy to deny and discourage veterans but a little work in the veterans favor wouild kill them.

She set the meeting time for tomorrow at 1:00 . I will let you know what happends but I'll be damned if I am holding my breath while I wait to get anything.

• HadIt.com Elder

She is not a nice lady she is impeding the help that you should get cause she is afraid her bosses will not like her doing anything to help you out.

The VA is not your friend