VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Exam Results

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

I recently had a C & P exam after 16 years for neurology and orthopedic conditions. The results I got back are titled "Confidential AD HOC Summary" . Anyone know what that title means or why the C & P exam is titled like that?

I believe I was scheduled for the C & P exam after 16 years @ 70% because I didn't drop my comp claim at the BVA.

The neurology exam was about 20 seconds long. I was asked to touch my nose with my fingertip and the doctor tapped my arms with a rubber hammer. From that the doctor gathered that my "motor, power, tone and bulk are normal in the upper and lower extremities" and "he has good heel-knee-shin. Gait is normal".

Being that I was in a wheelchair and have a positive EMG for service-connected cervical radiculopathy, I find that neurology exam more than a bit off the mark.

What should I do about it?

Thank you.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Get a neurology report from your own private doctor to rebutt this inadequate VA C&P exam. This is the best and fastest way to fight these pathetic C&P exams from quack doctors who are just there to pick up a quick fee from the VA.

I wrote a strongly worded letter to the neurologist that she hadn't examined me for many of the things she claimed were tested in her C & P exam. Never got a reply. On the plus side, I did get a white envelope today notifying me that my various ratings would continue unchanged as a result of the C & P exam. Naturally, I believe they are rated too low and will appeal after the dust settles.

Meanwhile can anyone offer advice on if Major Depressive Disorder ( MDD - GAF 50 ) can cause or affect obstructive speep apnea? Can a respiratory disorder, ( i.e., fibrosis and atelectasis lower lobes ), cause or affect sleep apnea?

Thanks to all. The info posted on hadit helps very much.

Get a neurology report from your own private doctor to rebutt this inadequate VA C&P exam. This is the best and fastest way to fight these pathetic C&P exams from quack doctors who are just there to pick up a quick fee from the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Militarynurse,

If the C&P exam went as you stated, I would file a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) and state what you just did in that NOD. Ask to have your claim handled by a Decision Review Officer (DRO), otherwise known as a DRO review. The DRO, with the info you stated here, will probably schedule you with another C&P exam.

As far as your Major Deppresive Disorder, are you already service-connected for this? If not, you need to establish service-connection for this before anything else. If you are already servcie-connected, then you need to have your doctor state that your MDD is the cause of your sleep apnea. There is medical litrature out there that support this in general, but the VA needs a statement from your doctor who states that your MDD is the cause of your sleep apnea. The Doctor should then reference the general medical litrature to support his opinion. Just submitting general medical litrature without any specific reference to the veteran isn't going to do the veteran's claim any good.

Same goes for the respiratory disorder. Are you already service-connected for it?

Hope this helps!

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17

• HadIt.com Elder

If you got a GAF of 50 for MDD you should be able to get 70% for that alone. 50 is the magic number on the GAF scale. Anything below is ususally 100% and above is 50-30%. How did they rate the MDD? A GAF of 50 means you have serious symptoms. As we all know a GAF score is not all there is but it is significant and corresponds with a host of symptoms that would incapacitate most from work.

Can a respiratory disorder, ( i.e., fibrosis and atelectasis lower lobes ), cause or affect sleep apnea?

Both can be be a result of Sleep Apnea. With Sleep Apnea, you stop breathing at night.

All you need is a Nexus opinion from a good Pulmonary Fellow.

Atelectasis is a condition where the lung has lost its elasticity a small collapse.

Thanks for the tip. I am rated 0% for a respiratory disorder, ( atelectasis from a bout of pneumonia in 1990) as secondary to spinal injury. A few months ago, out of the blue over a decade later and without any C & P exam, I got a letter I was SC'd for the respiratory disorder - and I sure need that respiratory SC now. This was a very weak claim which was mysteriously granted while what is in my opinion much stronger claims I submitted remain denied...including the one for depression.

Had a C & P last week on a request for an increase on the Respiratory disorder as I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, ( PE ), this past May. The doctor/examiner I found on the Internet to have a speciality in OB-GYN, not pulmonary as one might have expected expect. She said my respiratory disorder aggravated the PE but didn't cause it.

As a side note, the VA radiologist who read the initial CT diagnosing my PE flip flopped and not states he doesn't know if I had PE. Huh?? Can he read a CT scan or not?

Now I can't hardly breathe, yet the VA wouldn't give me home oxygen, yet they are hounding me to take a neuropsych exam to see if I can count backwards from 10. Typical VA logic.

Recent EEG showed encephalopathy with cerebral dysfunction. I am already SC'd @10% for post concussion syndrome.

Thanks again.

Militarynurse,

If the C&P exam went as you stated, I would file a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) and state what you just did in that NOD. Ask to have your claim handled by a Decision Review Officer (DRO), otherwise known as a DRO review. The DRO, with the info you stated here, will probably schedule you with another C&P exam.

As far as your Major Deppresive Disorder, are you already service-connected for this? If not, you need to establish service-connection for this before anything else. If you are already servcie-connected, then you need to have your doctor state that your MDD is the cause of your sleep apnea. There is medical litrature out there that support this in general, but the VA needs a statement from your doctor who states that your MDD is the cause of your sleep apnea. The Doctor should then reference the general medical litrature to support his opinion. Just submitting general medical litrature without any specific reference to the veteran isn't going to do the veteran's claim any good.

Same goes for the respiratory disorder. Are you already service-connected for it?

Hope this helps!

Vike 17