VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressed Over Stressor Letter; Near Done; Advice?

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After too many years a 4 page stressor letter near done; any last minute advice?

Letter organized with miitary history, major stressors; attachments lettters,reports, diagnosis,Cfile.SMR etc.

Thanks and pray for me..cg

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Have you specified the stressors with evidence from your SMRs? or your personal records?

What I mean is there is nothing wrong with highlighting copies of SMRs or any mil record and making specific references to them-

I had a vet with HBP and heart problems. His SMRs revealed proof of numerous HBP instances that put him in sick bay as well as the mil had to assign him an airman to stay with him for 2 weeks as he kept fainting.

First the VA said that his SMRs were lost in the St Louis fire.

Then we got them all our selves.

Then VA said they did not reveal HBP.

We highlighted the SMRs that specifically showed the problems he had ,clearly legible, as to the HBP problems.dont know status yet of this claim.

Different than your case- but my point is that they have to be shown like they are 12 years old what evidence the SMRs and personnel records hold.

Also-Might help someone- I had a vet with a Captain's mast and was put in the brig and that was-to me- the first manifestation of his mental disorder which they would not recognize. They said he was drunk- not possible, or just "acting up". Prior to and after this event he seemed to have no documented problems- however-

For years he would not ask them on a SF 180 for any disciplinary reports. Once he did,

and got this info to a real shrink, he was able to get the med opinion he needed for service connection.

• HadIt.com Elder

I suggest you ask someone you respect and trust to read it first - before you send it! I had excellent support and editing advice on-line from a military wife . . . I'm still grateful for her support. ~Wings (see my signature)

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, I am binding the papers, my stressor letter, support letters, reports,etc. Has been hard to work on stressors that I can prove and have diagnosis for, others I can only talk about, no/not enough proof. My biggest concern is - Question, if "todays" provable items were part of old not "well grounded" denial, how do I restate them to be connected back? Thanks. cg

• HadIt.com Elder

The best way in my opinion is a Doc's Opinion that supports PTSD acquired in Service. Absent that and one or more specific incident that is proveable by Independent source a PTSD claim is very hard to crack.

• HadIt.com Elder

cowgirl:

After I submitted a ton of civilian & VAMC medical reports ... I forgot to do my "Stressor Letter".

I was at the VARO and they looked through my C-File and typed up a "Stressor Letter" and I signed it on the spot.

The next morning ... a few minutes before 0800 ... my State SO called and said I had been awarded 100% for PTSD, P&T, Schedular.

Now, this was after 2 years of waiting and submitting a lot of info to the VARO though. They added the 100% to my other disabilities, some of which went all the way back to MEBs at discharge from RVN.

The stressor letter was the easy part for me.

The main thing about the "Stressor Letter" ... that makes it easy for you is ... IF ... it can be easily located in your C-File, After Action Reports or etc.

The easier that it is for the VARO to prove ... the easier and faster that you will get it.

Good luck .....

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ...

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes I think the VA wants vets to make PTSD claims because they are hard to prove unless you were in direct combat and have badges and awards to show for it you will have a hard time. If your doc says depression or other anxiety problems I would go with that because no verification is necessary if you have it in your SMR's.