VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Work And Tdiu

Rate this question

scythis

Question

Hi everyone :)

I'll get to the point with my question. My monthly income is now $2673 + SSDI. If I try to work part-time, will my VA income will be halved to $1228 or less? If my working didn't pan out, it would be a personal financial credit meltdown, with other fallout...that is a lot of money.

I currently receive 70% SC with payment at TDIU for severe depression. I was awarded 70% SC and was convinced that if I could work again, it would be far, far in the future. So, I filed for TDIU with the DAV and got it, several years ago - after a long battle. My depression and anxiety got much worse lately, before and after I dropped out of school due to anxiety. I want to try to work since I don't think that this lifestyle is for me but I haven't worked in over six years (as the resume gaps widen) and feel like if I fail, I'll get nailed. I'm really not sure if I can stay at home with horrible social anxiety every day like this and I can't go back to school for another year. VA therapy is going to take several months (optimistically) before I can restart it at my new VAMC. I've decided that I need to treat myself (I'm 33) by working toward getting a real job, but its a damned scary thought gambling over $12,000 a year. Is it set up to be a giant gamble or do I just lack information?

It may not sound like it, but I'm grateful, VERY grateful and I realize a lot of vets want or need TDIU and it has helped me in ways I know and in others that I can't even identify. However, am I the only grateful one that feels mired in it, now that I have it? Would the VA really cut a vet's income by over half just for trying to work with no offer of a 'probationary' or 'trial' work period to the veteran?

Edited by scythis

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless upu try a work program with SS ytou will lose the Social Security. However your age considered why not try VA Voc Rehab to see if they can help you, The fact is no one can tell you exactly what will happen much less the VA

​If you are currently on TDIU and decide to give work a shot, you will be able to work up to 1 year before VA takes the TDIU away.The VA would love to see you go back to work, obviously, so their kind enough (ha) to let you try it to see if it works out.

Coot

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil

I think the SSA program is called "Ticket to Work". Maybe if the VA had better mental health care service they might actually help people and build up their confidence so they could return to work. Seeing a shrink once every three months won't do it. If I was 33 and did not have multiple disabilites I would probably try to work. I did work until I was 51 and I am glad I did it even though I was constantly trying to get my disability increased. It was not until I was totally disabled and out of work that I got a decent increase. The only difference in my condition from one day to the next was that one day I was working and then I was not. If you are over 40 it is safer to keep the SSD and the TDIU. You may be able to work at some job but who will hire you? There is age discrimination and disability discrimination.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

John - you're right, it is called "ticket-to-work." I got my notice, I was no longer eligible, when I turned 66yo, a few months back. Every once in a while I dream about working, again, thinking I'm protected now, w/over 20 yrs. I figure I could be a greeter @ WallyWorld, or something. But then I realize I can't!!! I was helping a guy who does yard work for me, by watering some cement work, I was having done in my yard, the other day and was just doing a little walking and standing, in my yard, for about 4-5 hours. By the end of the day I could barely walk and I'm still sore today. Getting old's a bi*ch! I could probably be a great door stop or paper weight. ;-) I haven't worked since 1988 and it does suck.

pr

Every once in a while I dream about working, again, thinking I'm protected now, w/over 20 yrs.

I figure I could be a greeter @ WallyWorld, or something.

pr

Yea right - I can just see you as a door greeter at Wally World.

Here's a clear description for the viewing audience.

As a customer walks in the door . . .

pr shoves a cart at the them and says

If that baby you're carrying pees or Shitz in the cart - you'd better clean and disinfect it

on the double . . .

Now get your azz in there - spend a bundle - then get the he77 out of here

put my cart back where it goes and don't throw your cigarette butt down in my parking lot !