VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Report Received, Need Opinions

Rate this question

Devildog3043

Question

I just received a copy of my C&P exam for Mental Disorder and I asking some opinions of what rating will be used. I have checked the rating schedule and alot of things fall under 2 categories but not sure. Here is a transcription of the report:

Axis I- Social Phobia/ Major Depressive Disorder (2 diagnosis)

Axis III-1. The patient reported having obstructive sleep apnea. 2. High Blood pressure.

Axis IV-Psychosocial and Environmental Problems: Military service including Recruiting Duty

Axis V- Current GAF: 49

DIFFERENTIATION OF SYMPTOMS

A. Does the veteran have more than one mental disorder? Yes

B. Is it possible to differentiate what symptoms are attributable to each diagnosis? Yes

Regarding to the list of rateable symptoms in section II on this exam, depressed mood, chronic sleep impairment, disturbances of motivation and mood, and suicidal ideation are more strongly associated with major depressive disorder. Anxiety, panic attacks, and difficulty establishing and maintaining work and social relationships are more strongly associated with social phobia. He also has impaired concentration which is associated with both conditions.

OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

SYMPTOMS FOR RATING PURPOSES

Depressed mood, Anxiety, Panic attacks more than once a week, chronic sleep impairment, Disturbances in motivation and mood, Difficulty in establishing and maintaining work and social relationships, Suicidal ideations, Impaired concentration.

COMPETENCY

Is the veteran capable of managing his or her own financial affairs? Yes

This is the majority of the report without the history portion. From what I see, it can fall into the 50%-70& range but I could be wrong. What do you think?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Devildog, Others will chime in, but if you can not work due to your symptoms you might want to

claim TDIU and fill out form 21-8940 make sure you check Yes to Question 18 and add remarks in 25.

Good Luck,

NJ

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are able to work I see 50% and if you are unable to work then I see 70% and good shot at TDIU. Your GAF of 50 means the doctor sees you as having major problems with working and with social functioning.

I didn't see a medical opinion there. Are both the depression & social phobia service connected? As a rater depending on what else is in there (we dont pay too much attention to the GAF unless we need a tiebreaker) I would probably say a 50% .....the sleep imapirment seems like it could be due to the sleep apnea rather than to sleep patterns from nightmares and difficulty falling/staying asleep due to intrusive thoughts. You have panic attacks more than once a week which puts you above the 30% range, but having only the suicidal ideation may not cut the 70%. If you are not currently working I agree re the IU (filing a VAF 8940)

The service connection is in the Axis IV military service including Recruiting Duty. The remarks that the doctor states is he describes the symptoms and how they affect me. He also mentions my pre military, military and post military and the fact that there were no symptoms prior to the military. He also mentions when I started treatment, what medications I am on and my partial hospitalization in the Relevant Mental History portion. In the Relevant Legal and Behavioral history, he mentions my arrests. In the Substance Abuse history, he mentions how I drank heavily to self medicate.

I was encouraged by my VA therapist to apply for VA disability (major depressive disorder and PTSD). I have been out of the service for 20 years and currently receive SSD. I have a C&P next week. My questions are What can I expect ????