VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Devastated, Worried.... Ptsd/all Denied.

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

I don't even know where to begin. I'm shaking, and avoiding my emotional response as much as possible. I wanted to get some of this down before whatever happens next.

My case decided on Jan 27, and closed two days ago. One year (with last three months flagged for hardship), Today an American Legion person at my VARO was able to read my letter and tells me my PTSD and all other claims were denied. I am 65, so pension was awarded at $311/mo on top of my $702 social security check.

My initial claim went in with PTSD, depression, anxiety, sleep problems, and a string of other claims. I have seen three VA psychiatrists, all of whom confirm PTSD. My C&P says PTSD is "severe and chronic" and "not likely to improve" and that I am "unable to work." My GAF score was 42. The VA added TDIU to my claim.

Everything was denied because they say I was assigned to the FDR (aircraft carrier) operating off the East Coast at the time of the major stressor in California. (We flew back and forth to the carrier) The records show that I was assigned to the carrier as my photo recon squadron was assigned to the ship, but home base was NAS Miramar in California where my major stressor happened. (I was present when a fighter crashed into a hangar, with 11 deaths, 26 to burn unit, etc.)

I had three other stressors while working the flight deck on the carrier, all of which my C&P says meet stressor standards. These were denied because I have no medical records from the time showing I experienced this. (Am I alone in not going to sick bay when someone got killed? This was 1970! ) I wrote careful and extended accounts of all stressors with notes on the impact on my life. I was very detailed and careful.

I am fortunate to have the best relationship ever in my life, and to have had support through all this, but financial stresses have been extreme with bankruptcy and foreclosure. I don't know if this is survivable.

The American Legion person at my VARO says I or they need to find flight logs from my squadron showing my being at Miramar at the time. I don't know if this is possible.

I don't know that anyone can help. But I needed to write this down.

Edited by midnight340

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

MIDNIGHT 340

After you had said the plane broke up when it hit the water- I thought that wasnt quite all.

I was in the catwalk watching and saw it go over the front=== then the sound of the roosevelt cva 42 ,running over the plane-

"On 26 February 1970 an EA-3B was lost while operating from Roosevelt (CVA-42) in the Mediterranean. The catapult system malfunctioned in mid-stroke, resulting in the Skywarrior “dribbling” off the bow and being run over by the carrier. Four of the crewmembers made the ultimate sacrifice for their country in the accident, as LCDR Blaine Thrasher, LT Tom Walls, AEI Bond and an unidentified passenger were lost at sea. A fifth VQ-2 crewmember, the plane captain, Petty Officer “Rosey” Rozier, miraculously survived to be picked up by the plane guard."

http://www.coldwar.org/histories/HistoryofUSNavyFleetAirReconnaissancePartTwo.asp

Like I said I can also do a buddy statement if need be.. STEVE

steve&pat... With the information you have found for the crashes from the FDR on our deployments, both the "cold cat" shot with the EA-3B, and the loss of the A-7B Corsair II, ....along with exact dates (!!!!) ...I can now get records from JSRRC. This is wonderful news for me. This makes these other stressors listed in my claim something they will have to have to take into account. This is hard evidence. They cannot refute my working the flight deck at that time as I still have my "hazardous duty" pay authorization for that deployment.

For the information to send in with my request for reconsideration, I am not sure if I can request the records from JSRRC, have the Am. Leg. do this? or will the VA only do this themselves?

I have assembled information and written a Request for Reconsideration letter. I would appreciate those with experience taking a look and seeing if there is anything I missed.

Is this what is needed? Have I sufficiently addressed their concerns? I do not want to miss anything.

Request for Reconsideration no name.pdf

Edited by midnight340

"I am requesting reconsideration of my Rating Decision in regards to my PTSD claim. This re- quest is due to new information. In my decision letter I was denied service connection for all claimed PTSD stressors. I have further information that will substantiate my claims."

"PART II.

I was denied service connection for two other stressors in my claim for the following reason as stated in my Rating Decision letter of January 27, 2012:"

midnight,

I would change the underlined, because service connection for "stressors" are not either

granted or denied.

Service connection, in your case for PTSD has been denied.