• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
midnight340

Devastated, Worried.... Ptsd/all Denied.

Question

I don't even know where to begin. I'm shaking, and avoiding my emotional response as much as possible. I wanted to get some of this down before whatever happens next.

My case decided on Jan 27, and closed two days ago. One year (with last three months flagged for hardship), Today an American Legion person at my VARO was able to read my letter and tells me my PTSD and all other claims were denied. I am 65, so pension was awarded at $311/mo on top of my $702 social security check.

My initial claim went in with PTSD, depression, anxiety, sleep problems, and a string of other claims. I have seen three VA psychiatrists, all of whom confirm PTSD. My C&P says PTSD is "severe and chronic" and "not likely to improve" and that I am "unable to work." My GAF score was 42. The VA added TDIU to my claim.

Everything was denied because they say I was assigned to the FDR (aircraft carrier) operating off the East Coast at the time of the major stressor in California. (We flew back and forth to the carrier) The records show that I was assigned to the carrier as my photo recon squadron was assigned to the ship, but home base was NAS Miramar in California where my major stressor happened. (I was present when a fighter crashed into a hangar, with 11 deaths, 26 to burn unit, etc.)

I had three other stressors while working the flight deck on the carrier, all of which my C&P says meet stressor standards. These were denied because I have no medical records from the time showing I experienced this. (Am I alone in not going to sick bay when someone got killed? This was 1970! ) I wrote careful and extended accounts of all stressors with notes on the impact on my life. I was very detailed and careful.

I am fortunate to have the best relationship ever in my life, and to have had support through all this, but financial stresses have been extreme with bankruptcy and foreclosure. I don't know if this is survivable.

The American Legion person at my VARO says I or they need to find flight logs from my squadron showing my being at Miramar at the time. I don't know if this is possible.

I don't know that anyone can help. But I needed to write this down.

Edited by midnight340

paper trail anywhere....ATM withdrawals there for christmas purchases, that would be on a bank statement? M.

ER Visit, Mail/packages delivered addressed there, pobox?

Edited by mysticcherokee usn vet

I had left before the crash in our hangar- got an early out after coming back from the med cruise late 1970s.I think I have a list of people on detachment on the roosevelt. On the shakedown out of mayport around cuba and the islands they lost a few planes-- not from our squadron tho. I think it was in the paper-the pilot couldnnt control the plane- he ejected and the plane went unmanned into the hangar and all hell broke out.

Ill look for my list of crew members. Was there a black Chief George in your detachment. I was ADJ-3 at the time

I think I finaly got all my NARA info on the 3rd request- that had the detachment members.

I will see if I can find it.

LATER STEVE

steve&pat, thank you for your response. Anything that you can come up with could help. I do have basic information on the crash and why it happened, but more is better.

Yes, I remember Chief George!! Had forgotten about him. Any crew/squadron lists would be much appreciated.

We lost a lot of planes and personnel (all squadrons) counting both deployments (Cuba and Med together)

Again, any info would help, thanks.

Mystic, I'm still thinking about all that. Long time ago, and a lot of moves so I didn't keep much.

Steve and Pat I went in the Navy in 1979, technically 78. This thread here belongs to the Miramar survivor, and Ill bet sharing that 411 offered to moi with them would make all the difference in the world. I too am trying to help them figure ways to establish "presence" there if nothing else, so thats why I've suggested a couple different things. Thank you for tryin to help a Vet in need indeed! Bottom heart! Salute! Mystic

I got my letter today:

1) They say I am "entitled to a non-service connecte disability rating of 70 percent" I understand they will supplement my Soc. Sec. about $300, but I don't understand what the 70 percent means when it is non-service connected.

2) SC for PTSD denied. Reason "The evidence from your miitary records shows you were deployed with the USS Franklin Roosevelt during the aircraft crash at Miramar NAS" (I am hoping if I can clarify the squadron back at Miramar at that time, that I can somehow get them to change this. Hoping it does not take two years to do this!)

3 SC denied for other stressors because "..you failed to submit enough evidence to request additional evidence from the Joint Services Records Research Center regarding your other claimed stressful incidents." (I don't know if I can support this, but I was present at a number of crashes/deaths during the deployment, and was also caught in a jet blast and blown across onto the elevator, all my gear going over the side... I lucked out in my body wrapping around the front strut of an F-4. No sick bay visit cause I thought I was tough, I guess.)

4) Since I do not have service connection, they denied TDIU as well. Question: do you think that if they do grant SC that the 70 percent non-service connection would help?

SO... it looks clearly like they are accepting the PTSD and associated problems. (they list my C&P, treatment reports from my VA med center, statements from family, my own statements, etc.)

Edited by midnight340