VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Devastated, Worried.... Ptsd/all Denied.

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

I don't even know where to begin. I'm shaking, and avoiding my emotional response as much as possible. I wanted to get some of this down before whatever happens next.

My case decided on Jan 27, and closed two days ago. One year (with last three months flagged for hardship), Today an American Legion person at my VARO was able to read my letter and tells me my PTSD and all other claims were denied. I am 65, so pension was awarded at $311/mo on top of my $702 social security check.

My initial claim went in with PTSD, depression, anxiety, sleep problems, and a string of other claims. I have seen three VA psychiatrists, all of whom confirm PTSD. My C&P says PTSD is "severe and chronic" and "not likely to improve" and that I am "unable to work." My GAF score was 42. The VA added TDIU to my claim.

Everything was denied because they say I was assigned to the FDR (aircraft carrier) operating off the East Coast at the time of the major stressor in California. (We flew back and forth to the carrier) The records show that I was assigned to the carrier as my photo recon squadron was assigned to the ship, but home base was NAS Miramar in California where my major stressor happened. (I was present when a fighter crashed into a hangar, with 11 deaths, 26 to burn unit, etc.)

I had three other stressors while working the flight deck on the carrier, all of which my C&P says meet stressor standards. These were denied because I have no medical records from the time showing I experienced this. (Am I alone in not going to sick bay when someone got killed? This was 1970! ) I wrote careful and extended accounts of all stressors with notes on the impact on my life. I was very detailed and careful.

I am fortunate to have the best relationship ever in my life, and to have had support through all this, but financial stresses have been extreme with bankruptcy and foreclosure. I don't know if this is survivable.

The American Legion person at my VARO says I or they need to find flight logs from my squadron showing my being at Miramar at the time. I don't know if this is possible.

I don't know that anyone can help. But I needed to write this down.

Edited by midnight340

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I got my letter today:

1) They say I am "entitled to a non-service connecte disability rating of 70 percent" I understand they will supplement my Soc. Sec. about $300, but I don't understand what the 70 percent means when it is non-service connected.

2) SC for PTSD denied. Reason "The evidence from your miitary records shows you were deployed with the USS Franklin Roosevelt during the aircraft crash at Miramar NAS" (I am hoping if I can clarify the squadron back at Miramar at that time, that I can somehow get them to change this. Hoping it does not take two years to do this!)

3 SC denied for other stressors because "..you failed to submit enough evidence to request additional evidence from the Joint Services Records Research Center regarding your other claimed stressful incidents." (I don't know if I can support this, but I was present at a number of crashes/deaths during the deployment, and was also caught in a jet blast and blown across onto the elevator, all my gear going over the side... I lucked out in my body wrapping around the front strut of an F-4. No sick bay visit cause I thought I was tough, I guess.)

4) Since I do not have service connection, they denied TDIU as well. Question: do you think that if they do grant SC that the 70 percent non-service connection would help?

SO... it looks clearly like they are accepting the PTSD and associated problems. (they list my C&P, treatment reports from my VA med center, statements from family, my own statements, etc.)

Edited by midnight340

Hello Mystic,,,,,,, Don't you just hate this place. I mean you come on here to this site......new , tired and worn out with the VA and all the stuff they ask for. Don't really know anyone so that makes it tough also. Annnnnnddddd WHAM... you already have some folks that care and offer you some good advice.

Yes , Mystic look , you are going to have to try and be patient and careful gathering your evidence. Writing letters,, checking on lawyers or service groups. Keeping datelines and appointments. You have alot of people here in your corner and most of us have been there too.

Why Mystic , I just put up my 40 percent diasabiltity under my avatar profile today. I have been working on my claim for 5 years. But has been a group effort from my lawyer and all the folks here at Hadit , that pitched in helping. It literally is a group effort we all share in the rewards and the work necessary to bring it forth. Man , does that bring back some memories. I thought the same thing you thought. There is just no way this is ever going to work.It just seems so huge and big. The VA might be able to bully you around some,,,,but when it comes to all of us......nooope. We have a tendency of ganging up on them. Kind of like our own Regional Office except the roles are changed alittle.

Here is picture of me when I get mad .

So maybe you just start that little list and see what you need to get . Take an old file cabinet for your letters and such. A small group of folders and that will get you started. For me, Mystic , it was all worth it when I got the envelope and just layed it down on the foot rest of my sitting space. I looked at it for 10 minutes then opened it and saw that magic phrase....service connected. I could not stop those tears either.....ask Jbasser as he was sharing that moment with me.

You got friends here and your going to make it , but you've got to move with some smarts and be careful how you respond . Ask questions. Get suggestions. Read the 38 CFRs. if you can . Go over some old post here . Research BVA decisions. This is a learning experience and you got friends here to help you.

Now.......how did that tune go.............

Mystic , above all though no matter what.......NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

I dont know if I should be doin this but, THIS was meant for yall, and I HOPE IT HELPs. WHY CAPTAIN CONTAMINATE, yall could make a grown woman blush!pshaw! Thanks!!!!!! M.

My husband thinks you may of been on the same cruise with him. His group was the Light Photographic Squadron 63 Detachment 42 NAS Miramar, California.

There were little cruises before they actually went on the Med Cruise that was just after Christmas 1969 to Aug. 1970.

The mini cruise before the Med was off Mayport, Florida from Nov. 1, 1969 to Nov. 22, 1969.

The first mini cruise before that was: Porceed and report ot CO, USS Franklin D Roosevelt (CVA-42), NAS Guantanomo Bay, Cuba for a period of about 6 weeks in connection CVW-6 Carquais. That left on Aug 10, 1969.

IF YOU WERE ON ANY OF THESE-- I DO HAVE THE TAD ORDER SHEETS, AND A LIST OF EVERYONE WHO WAS ON EACH OF THESE 3 CRUISES WITH THEIR RANKS AND SERVICE NUMBERS.

Over the years we even has a history of assignments which show exactly where he was stationed. He remembers that air plane crash at Mirimar-- it was after the Med Cruise, and before he got out in Oct. 1970. He did not see it, but heard it, and they were told to stay away. We were living in California at the time. His last history of assignment does say he was NAS Miramar and he got a 3 month early out and got out on Oct. 1, 1970.

People on all 3 cruises were: Bacques, Bartos, Bourdage, Cavaness, Christensen, Fields, G.I. George, Gidcumb, Gonzales, Henning, Hoobier, Hughes, Hugus, Jensen, Johnston, Jonas, Keenum, Hrase, Kruse, Steve Lenertz (my husband), Maizel, Makowski, Martin, Martinez, Mumford, Nitsch, Segraves, Soroka, R. Sturiale, Towne

Others who were NOT on all 3, but some of them were:

Burgett, Carson Massanti, Mitchell, Minegar, Russell, Stoddart, Delong, Loomis, Lee, Wasson.

I do have their initials on all, their ranks and serial numbers.

If this connects with you-- let me know and I can personally run you a copy of all these and mail them to you.

Thanks Steve and Pat

======================================================================

Capt C. If I havent said so alreeady, ALRIIIIIGHT! on your award, you Go MISTER!!!!! As for the rest I'm humbled and appreciative to belong to anything, perticularly this place where the bar is decidedly in a very proud, aint gonna move for nobody position. Thanks so very much for havin me:):) Mystic

mystic, YES! YES! YES! Light Photo Squadron VFP-63 Detachment 42 aboard USS FDR!!! This is amazing!

Who is your husband? (you can email me at: [Removed Email Address] I can send you an address for the info)

I was on all three of these cruises. (last name Christensen, I was often known as "Chris") This is exactly the info I need:

Anything to show that VFP-63 was at Miramar in December before we left on Jan 2nd 1970.

Don't know if it was the right thing to do, but I started a new thread and copied in excerpts from my letter I got today with their decision. Thinking I'd concentrate on the questions. Thread is:

You can reply to either as I will check both.

Mystic, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Edited by Tbird
Removed Email Address - Please PM to give someone your email address to protect your privacy.

That was sent to ME in an IM, by pat amd mike? I was never there, and am only copy/pasting this for YOU. they gave it to ME accidently, mixing me up with yall midnight. BUT IM GLAD ITS HELPING. Talk to pat and mike. Or HER HUSBAND WAS< im confused, but YEAH YEAH YEAHHHHHHHH! YOU WILL GET IT YET, and youll prove it all! Im so happy for you!! WOO HOOOO! Mystic did i make sense.