VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fully Developed Claims & Disability Benefits Questionnaire Info

Hey everyone, I could use some help. I was recently increased to a 100% April 20th. The letter is stating it took effect on jul of 2013. On the same day as my decision packet I received another letter stating I need to fill out a 21-8951-2 stating I need to report my drill days for fiscal year 2012. My last 2 years in the army was with the guard. But I wasn't drilling in 2012. Will I not receive my retro pay until this is resolved? I call the 1800 number but they don't tell me anything. They don't even know the answer. Can somebody please help me out!

since service...those 2 little magic words. Does this include when your requesting an upgrade or a secondary condition? In my case I have 40% bilateral Chronic, Recurrent bilateral patellar laxity, subluxation, lateral instability, severe re-occurring patella dislocations. But now my lower back has been killing me due to abnormal gait. (Physical Therapist said this maybe the cause.) Everyone has been telling me to also put in for PTSD but I'm afraid to talk about my past and seem like an idiot. Also have Left hand medial nerve from when my knee gave out and shot a 3 inch nail into my hand with a nail gun by accident. Even the ER has never seen such a thing. VA told me to ask for my hand to be secondary to my fall.

No, it does not include secondary. For secondary conditions it just has to be shown that your s/c disability is causing the 2nd one. ie your left knee is secondary to right since you overcomepnsate with it. As long as doc links it ur good. Changes in gait have been known to cause back issues so i would def. put in for that I'm not too sure about the left hand medial nerve ...even though it was caused by a fall due to ur knee, the nail gun is an outside factor. I say try it, since it's not a definitive No until u try & get told no. As for the PTSD, I know it's difficult to talk about ur experiences, but just remember the mental health docs are specific to VA issues & won't be asking u things like 'does this have to do with ur mom' or anything....they have a better understanding of folks have gone through, & if nothing else, it might be good to unload. Rooting for ya!

All I need help. On May 8, 2014 my husband was rated 100% PTSD. I am waiting on the BBE. It was effective same day no retro pay. We will appeal. Your thoughts? He is also a Vietnam Vet I filed an informal claim. Just sent in a typed letter identifying prostate cancer where records can be found, docs name and claim #. That occurred 3/13. I received word through DAV that they sent her a letter of acknowledgement but did not send us anything. One year will be up 5/28/14. I do not want to lose any retro. At the time we were represented by Vietnam Veterans of America for PTSD appeal. I did not know we could not have two POAs. Question: do I need to complete a FDCF? Also he had a kidney removed- how should I handle that? The lady with VVA is very nice but not helpful. She told me to complete form 21-526, but I do not have a good feeling. Please help. God Bless and thanks for your service.

Even working for VA I still have no clue what some acronyms are....BBE? I would probably get a better idea if I could see the claim, but if u feel the effective date should be earlier, u need to submit evidence showing 1st diagnosis for PTSD. Hubby is Vietnam vet....was he boots-on-the-ground? (in-cou8ntry service)? if so, does he have diabetes or other comlications of Agent Orange exposure? Re kidney, when was this & what was the previous condition before it was removed? It COULD be related to Agent Orange as well. If u like, PM me & let me know.

Ryder, I PM'd u before seeing this, but if u didn't drill then a letter should be enuff. If worse comes to worst, maybe a letter from the reserves indicating u did not partake in any drills for that year.

7913Diabetes mellitus

Requiring more than one daily injection of insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities (avoidance of strenuous occupational and recreational activities) with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring at least three hospitalizations per year or weekly visits to a diabetic care provider, plus either progressive loss of weight and strength or complications that would be compensable if separately evaluated

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities with episodes of ketoacidosis or hypoglycemic reactions requiring one or two hospitalizations per year or twice a month visits to a diabetic care provider, plus complications that would not be compensable if separately evaluated

Requiring insulin, restricted diet, and regulation of activities

Requiring insulin and restricted diet, or; oral hypoglycemic agent and restricted diet

Manageable by restricted diet only

10 Note (1): Evaluate compensable complications of diabetes separately unless they are part of the criteria used to support a 100 percent evaluation. Noncompensable complications are considered part of the diabetic process under diagnostic code 7913. Note (2): When diabetes mellitus has been conclusively diagnosed, do not request a glucose tolerance test solely for rating purposes.

I think I did a FDC here recently. I asked for an increase for DMII. I meet requirements for 20% because VA started me on oral medications. I got paperwork from Jax. Fl instead of St. Pete. It was a page telling me what I needed and another page asking about evidence. All my evidence is at the VA. It is no big deal since no extra money but I want an increase.

John, I quoted the ratings schedule for diabetes above to show u how we rate. The fact that u r on oral injections or might require insulin more than once a day has no bearing on the 20%. The only way to bump it up is if u are specifically told by a doc that u must avoid strenuous exercise in order to not have a hypoglycemic episode (regulation of activities).