VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Neurologist Says Osa Related To Organic Solvent Exposure

Rate this question

rdawg

Question

just got c&p report for obstructive sleep apnea.

Dr checked box that says "at least as likely as not" due to service. In the comments he stated that I was exposed to solvents/jet fuel/isocyanytes as reported in my smr's. He then referrenced the internet articles that I took to the c&p describing exposure to organic solvents as a cause for sleep apnea. Good news.

I think they need to work out some bugs in the new system.

He examined me for DDD of the neck -- I was claiming it seciondary to DDD of lumbar or due to the use of power tools (vibration damage)

He also examined me for headache.

In his report

Under Medical opinion for "direct" service connection

he checked "less likley than not" that my neck condition was related to toxic exposures. DUH! I never claimed that.

He also stated that power tool use could have contributed to DJD of Cervical Spine.

He states my headaches are mixed tension and sinus and that the tension headaches cannnot be service connected because my neck is not.

Under Medical opinion for "secondary" service connection he checked "at least as likely as not"

but only discussed OSA and stated it was directly connected to service.

I think he was supposed to fill out this form for each condition -- are they direct/secondary/aggravated etc.

He is a VA neurologist.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am glad he referenced the literature. The VA doesn't not give weight to their own C&P examiners if they make blanket statements that are not supported by credible literature or specific research data. I am going to put an entire post up on this problem later. The only exception is when the raters are instructed that the VA recognizes the association the doctor addressed as being related.

"He states my headaches are mixed tension and sinus and that the tension headaches cannnot be service connected because my neck is not."

C&P examiners do not decide what can be or cannot be service connected. I am very suspicious of his statement. Cervicogenic headaches are often secondary to to neck injuries. It appears he did not investigate all forms of headaches because yoiu were not service connected for the neck. If you are service connected in the future for your neck it would be a good idea to seek an opinion as to whether or not your headaches are cervicogenic in origin.

Edited by Hoppy

I don't know if you can find lititure on the link or not, but prior to me being put on CPAP I had horrible sinus problems and sinus headaches that were absolutely incapacitating. After being put on CPAP my sinus problems disappeared.

You might look for litature to see if there is a medically recognized connection.

Best regards,

rdawg,

Its sounds like you got good news. Congratulations.

The va Parkinsons clinic recently published in its last quarterly news letter of 2011, a study linking trichlorethylene to parkinsons. This was done on a study of US Navy twins during and after WW II where one twin was exposed and the other was not. Check the APDA website , not sure of the addy right now i have it on another one of my replies. or posts.