VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got The Big Brown Envelope

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

Don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt! So much I have to find out, starting with...am I P & T???

If so I will need an ID card for the PX and a dental appointment.

I will e-mail my ODVA guy and see what he can tell me and keep returning here to see what advice y'all can provide from experience.

I work at one of the post offices that is listed to be closed. It hasn't been a good time for a guy with PTSD! I am wondering what this means for retirement. I am initially eligible in 2 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 1 day - my 56th birthday. They will not concede that I am eligible for disability retirement, I can still do the job, but I think the noise at work has contributed to my continued hearing loss- OSHA certified but maybe healthy ears are less prone to the damage.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you read carefully, the award documents will contain a phrase no future exams scheduled, assuming that you are P&T.

It will also say 100%, and usually contain other forms for insurance, CHAMPUS (for dependents), Life insurance, etc.

The brown envelope should also contain instructions and a form used to apply for a DOD ID card. For other purposes, your state

veterans affairs representative may need to look at the VA paper work, and then generate letters for homestead tax exemptions, vehicle tax

elimination, free tags, and a free driver's and fishing/hunting license. The benefits and requirements differ from one state to another, so you will need to look up your state's benefits, and how to obtain them.

I ended up (in Georgia)

Getting a letter from the state VSO

Going to the nearest military base with all kinds of records and the VA documents.

Visiting the county Tax assessor's office twice.

Going to the Drivers license office.

The results were

Military ID cards for my self and wife

A real estate tax reduction of $1,000 a year

Free vehicle tags and no PPT for one vehicle.

Free Driver's license.

I have not yet bothered to get the hunting and fishing license, as the stores that sell/issue them

don't deal with the free license. The free license is issued directly by the state.

Edited by Chuck75

nothing that solidly reassuring in there. amazingly fast! i requested in december, tested in january and got the envelope yesterday. my wife says our bank account shows a deposit making up the difference in tje old amount and the new.

there are several forms including something for dependent education nenefits.

i have big anxiety issues. just my luck this happens at the start of a 3 day weekend and i won't be able to follow up until tuesday!

At 90% I already have the state hunting and fishing license, the discount on my property tax, the license plate that I never have to pay for again, a Golden Access Pass so I get into national parks free and a state version that will get me free parking and some camping at state parks.

There may be a few other perks but those come to mind. I hope this is P & T. It would be nice to have the ID and all that comes with it. I'm sure the dental care will come in handy. The increase may put me in position to accept an early retirement from the post office, which is not a certainty yet but has been mentioned in all this downsizing.

I picked up the mail early enough but the phone number was no good to me without my wife to use it for me. I e-mailed my ODVA Rep. But he must not have checked it, he was probably busy. With luck I'll get verification from him next week.

70% PTSD

70% bilateral hearing loss

10% tinnitus

10% otitis external

10% l knee injury

10% l knee degenerative osteoarthritis

nlua,

This reads to be that you are either now 100 % or comped under IU at

the 100 % level - either way with P&T or there would not be any Chapter 35.

BTW - FWIW - to get dental just the 100 % SC applies - no need for P&T status.