VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Vs C & P

Rate this question

boomer2

Question

I have been reading a lot of posts on the site and have noticed that some people get IMO's while others are advised to get them and still others just get a C & P. I understand that there are a lot of vets that don't have private med ins and can't afford to pay to go to a private doc and have to hope the VA does right by them. My question is if a person were to file a claim for say 3 issues and had an IMO to support them all and submitted them with the claim would the VA even do a C & P? I just think that the VA uses the C & P to set up the denial (especially in borderline claims where it could go either way) JMO. I would like to know what the feelings of others out there are and what there opinions are between the two..

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

An IMO is for your benefit.

A C&P exam is for the VA's benefit when they are seeking to determine an opinion about you and your claim.

The VA will not award a claim based on an IMO but on medical evidence on the record. AN IMO only helps if it mentions it has reviewed all of the evidence.

J

my first go around the va used my IMO and never gave me a c&p.

This time they asked for c&p for most of my claimed conditions. In most cases they asked for a medical opinion even though I provided an IMO.

For neurogenic bladder -- my private IMO stated "likley related to Lumbar DDD" then they sent me for a c&p and the c&p doc stated "is related to lumbar DDD".

Here's the kicker -- I guess that wasn't good enough to grant service connection so they sent me to a urologist who told me it was not related to my lumbar DDD. I just got a copy of his report and he states that my bladder condition is not related to service because it is caused by my IBS. I guess he didn't think to look to see if I was service connected for IBS (because I am).

So now will the rater deny and state that it's related to IBS and make the same mistake as the doctor?

For sleep apnea -- my private IMO stated "liley related to sleep problems in service". I was never diagnosed with sleep apnea in service but I did report fatigue and sleep problems.

The VA neurologist stated my sleep apnea was related to service and quoted the internet printouts I provided to him stating that sleep apnea was caused by exposure to solvents.

For sinus/allergy -- the va c&p stated it had its onset in service.

I have been reading a lot of posts on the site and have noticed that some people get IMO's while others are advised to get them and still others just get a C & P. I understand that there are a lot of vets that don't have private med ins and can't afford to pay to go to a private doc and have to hope the VA does right by them. My question is if a person were to file a claim for say 3 issues and had an IMO to support them all and submitted them with the claim would the VA even do a C & P? I just think that the VA uses the C & P to set up the denial (especially in borderline claims where it could go either way) JMO. I would like to know what the feelings of others out there are and what there opinions are between the two..

I am one of those Vets you speak of when come to being able to afford medical insurance.My VA Drs refuse to write IMOs.The C&P exam Drs seemed to be focused on writing negative info not supported by any medical or otherwise evidence. In the past when I did have insurance, I had a family to support and my kids medical needs came first. Now since I don't have any records of going to civilian Drs for my disabilities I am penalized for the decisions I made then.I've got a private meeting with my VAMCs Cheif of Staff friday and I plan to see if he will tell me the truth that the VA wants it's C&P exam Drs. to find reasons not to grant the claims. If he pinkie swears they are not, I will show him the C&P reports and let him explain all the untruths or show me where in the computer all these lies are found.Since he is both a shrink and internalist, it outta be interesting.mike

• HadIt.com Elder

I had to use IMO's for my mental health issues to establish a decent percentage rating. I am SC for 6 other issues and I never had IMO's for those issues. These are all presumptives and secondary presumptives that did not require IMO's. To get rated TDIU I needed 4 IMO's. Finally, I got a retired VA psychiatrist who was in private practice to write an IMO for me. That did it. I worked at it and I am still working at it.