VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Side Effects Of Paxil

Rate this topic

Hi wiings:

No, I am not menopausal, at least I don't think so. I went thru that about 5 years ago. Then all goes well, hot flash/sweat wise until about 3 months ago when my Paxil dose was increased. I hope you have good luck with the natural herbs & Chinese medicine. You are wise not to try to educate your VA providers on the merits of alternative medicine. I don't think they have a clue on accepted mainstream medical practices either :)

Of course that is just my perception. I wouldn't take that to the bank either :wacko:

Liz

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr. Magoo:

Thanks for your reply. So at least I am not the only one who has had this problem. I just thought I would bring this up to my shrink because the little print-out thingee the VA sends along with my meds says that this is a serious side effect. However, you seem to still be alive and kicking so maybe it is not so serious.

There are times I wish the VA would give me Xanax. It helped me cope when I had to undergo a minor surgical procedure & an overnight hospital stay 6 years ago. At the time I was not under VAs tender care but used private sector care instead. That is probably why I got the Xanax. Instead of ignoring my extreme paranoia(sp) of doctors & hospitals, they gave me something to help deal. The only other antidepressant I have been on is Prozac & it stopped working for me. I also had a brief trial of Wellbutran but that didn't work for me at all.

Liz

Hello Liz,

I tried Paxil two years ago. I immediately had violent dreams and broke things in the bedroom befor I woke up. I also staggered and had balance problems. I guess it effects people differently. I had my wife so terrified on several occasions I had to call the doc and get off the stuff. While an in-patient under C.O. at VA Medical Center Gainesville, Fl., Paxil was one of three meds given me. I called it a "Coctail" this combination of drugs resulted in the end of my love life, period, it's over. These doctors are there to help us yet the side effects of the drugs are devastating and cause more depression. Please try to avoid Paxil! I'm on Xanax now and feel like I'm sipping a Highball all day. As time goes by more and more.

Jim

• HadIt.com Elder

Millions of people have taken Paxil with good results. All Medication has side effects and you have to walk through a real minefield putting together what works best for you. My recommendation is to work closely with your Doc and be sure that if you decide that you want off to do it with your Doc.

Hadit is full of horror stories of Veterans who quit on their own and had major problems.

Last thing is just because another had bad side effects using a medication does not mean it will not be the medication that saves your ass.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have taken paxi, zoloft and prozac. All these drugs are SSRI uptake inhibitors and have the same side effects. ED for men taking paxil is a big problem ,but if you are very depressed your sex life is probably not going to be all that great anyway. I don't believe that these drugs will permanently end a person's sex life.

The older anti-depressants also have serious side effects.

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

I have been screwed so many times I don't miss my sex life anymore.