VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Psychiatric Diagnoses Being Twisted To Force Soldiers Out?

Rate this question

mysticcherokee usn vet

Question

Stigma seen in military finding TROOPS: Are psychiatric diagnoses being twisted to force soldiers out?

This is an interesting article, and I thought others might want to read it, from Sarasota Herald Tribune.Its about trumped up dx's to discharge those found wanting/lacking/unfit either due to and injury, or whatever might make them to later want to file a claim.

Oh well, just read if youve a notion, the article tells all, enjoy! Hugs, Mystic

http://www.heraldtri...e-soldiers-out-

Heres an edit adding the new york times rendition of same article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/us/a-military-diagnosis-personality-disorder-is-challenged.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Edited by mysticcherokee usn vet

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Its a travesty that DOD continues to perpetrate. Groups like NVLSP did good with the lawsuit for sufferers of PTSD post 9/11. I wish they would also do research and file one on behalf of all that suffered prior to 9/11.

ill never know how i got away w/ just a medical (tho in its own right it did plenty of damage claiming my ailment was epte) discharge.

What theyre BEING ALLOWED TO PERPETRATE IS UNConscienable (SIC) NEEDS FRONT PAGE ATTENTION TILL ITS RESOLVED,IMO. Mystic

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in 60's and 70's there was no PTSD DX, so if a soldier who still had time to serve after returning from Vietnam started to have PTSD-like symptoms the chances are that the soldier would be kicked out as being unfit or bad conduct discharge. Even today if a soldier is suffering from PTSD and using illegal drugs to self-medicate he/she will probably get bad conduct discharge if they get caught. If they just stay drunk then maybe not so bad.

when i was in they didnt have ptsd, OR fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue symptoms. and nobody could read in the vro. MYstic

they had yer average every day laymen making medical calls on claims, kinda like the thumb up/down in a roman gladiaTOR

where the emporer always wore new invisible clothes. it was a regular party throwin vets to the lions left and right! woo hoo, let the good times roll!

It iis true, the military has a long history of discharging veterans for personality disorders rather than giving them an Axis I diagnosis that is service connecatble. But, the good and possibly the bad thing for others about C & P exams is just because one is diagnosed with a personiality disorder in service, the VA examiner is not held to that diagnosis and if they diagnosis PTSD or a service connectable mental condition, a veteran can get SC. On the other hand, if one is diagnosed with PTSD in service and the VA examiner diagnosis a personality disorder and doesnt confirm the PTSD diagnosis the veteran will not be entitled to SC, but may be entitled to chapter 1702 or medical benefits.