VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medabolic Sendrome

Rate this question

ghillbe

Question

has any one heard of metabolic syndrome. i was going through my last c&p exam and the dr stated i have it. what would it be rated under and should i file for it or wait for all of my other claims to go through or add to my existing claim for gulf war undiagnosed stuff?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It is not a ratable ailment, it basically is a precursor to diabetes, but if you are not diabetic yet, you can prevent it with exercise, diet and meds. You will not get rated for it and it is not a presumptive under va guidelines.

However, if you are within one year of discharge, and you go see a doctor that gives you a diagnosis of DMII, you can file service connection.

• HadIt.com Elder

"Has anyone heard of metabolic syndrome"? Yes.

"Is it ratable" ? In theory, yes, practically, No!

What is it? Do a Google search!

Related or resultant problems:

DMII, Various arterial and vascular problems, blood clots, Kidney problems, Skin problems, Immune system disorders, etc.

A/O is thought to have caused metabolic syndrome, although the VA ignores this, and beats around the bush.

Until recently, only some endocrinologists would say that it even exists.

Treatment? Multifacited

For DMII

For Cholesterol

For Clotting

For prevention of heart disease and so forth.

Diet

Stress avoidance

Treatment for High Blood pressure, even if somewhat below diagnostic level.

As long as the doctor did not tie it to any one cause then add it to your UI claim. you need to make sure to list just how it makes you disabled in your life to reach the 10% rating. do remimd the raters that under the UI of section 3.317 that the presumptive date is until the end of 2016 now.

has any one heard of metabolic syndrome. i was going through my last c&p exam and the dr stated i have it. what would it be rated under and should i file for it or wait for all of my other claims to go through or add to my existing claim for gulf war undiagnosed stuff?

GulfVet45, question for you;

I had a med board addendum prior to my separation. On the addendum, (it was for the diagnosis of fibromyalgia) I had listed

hyperlipidemia, high triglycerides, hyperuricemia, very high risk ratio, listed weight was very high, however even after I knew that constituted "metabolic syndrome", I didn't get diagnosed w/diabetes until 2003.

I was never treated or even told to get it under control, would that still be considered service connected?