VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claims/request For Increase In Compensation

Rate this question

huskerfanfl

Question

I retired in 2004 and in November of that year received a 50% total disability compensation. As part of the award, I was granted 10% for a knee and a noncompensatory award for my ankle and foot on the same leg. I have since had further problems with all three. On two occasions, I reported the issue to the VA clinic to which I am assigned and on one occasion to my private physician. I will be going back to my private physician on Tuesday, and expect that he will finally order an MRI for my knee and hopefully the ankle and foot as well. I suspect that all three issues are more serious that originally diagnosed by the VA and will be submitting a request for a raise in compensation for the knee and a claim of compensation for the ankle and foot.

My question is this, should I put all three of these on one form, submit two forms, or submit three forms. By the way, an additional issue that will probably arise in the futre is the fact that the pain in my joints keeps me from sleeping most nights.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since we are near the end of the month you should write the VARO a quick letter and explain that your conditions have worsened and you would like a review. Keep in mind that they could lower your current rating but it is not likely.

You can submit evidence from copies of your progress notes at VA and anything you have from your private Doc.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

If all three conditions are service-connected, then you do not need to fill out any forms to request an increase in evaluation. As Pete said, all you need to do is write your regional office a short letter stating you would like an increase in evaluation on those disabilities. You should also attach your recent treatment notes from your doctors showing that your disabilities have gotten worse. This will help speed things up, as the VA doesn't have to gi hunting for those records.

Once service-connection has been established, one does not need to resubmit VA Form 21-526 for a request an increase in their evaluations. The VA already has all the needed info from the original 526 to process any claims for an increase. If you still want to fill out the 526 for an increase, you still can, but it isn't really needed.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17