VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Colonostopy Exam

Rate this question

grent

Question

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I have had three so far. Mine were done on an outpatient basis. The most unpleasant part of the whole process is taking the medicine to flush out your bowels the day before the procedure. My last procedure was March of last year. My procedure started around 9:00 a.m. and was completed by 9:30 a.m. and I was home by 11:00 a.m. I was put to sleep and never felt anything during the procedure. Your gastroenterologist doctor inserts a device up your rectum with a camera and a light on the end of the device so he can look at the lining of your colon and lower intestines. He is looking for anything ususual in your colon such as polyps. The doctor will remove any polyps he finds and send them to a pathologist to see if they are cancerous or benign. I have had polyps removed during all of my exams. Fortunately they have all been benign. Good luck with your procedure.

Georgiapapa

georgiapappa is right the worse part is the day before. When you start drinking that stuff you will be staying in the bathroom. Trust me you will not leave. I had mine in May last year went in at 7:00 AM and was home by 9:30 AM The exam itself is nothing.

The 1st one I had done as an outpatient procedure at an outside gastroenterologist and was put to sleep. The Va does NOT put you to sleep. They don't in Houston. They administer an IV with versed to relax you. At one point it was a little uncomfortable, I let them know and they increased the dosage. Just enough versed to take the edge off the situation. The Va goes "overkill" on the prep where you drink the the golytly etc. I'll put it this way, the Va wants you "clean as a plumbers pipe" Also, if you have a long commute to the Va they will set you courtesy quarters the night before. The other drug in the IV makes you forget most of the procedure but I could see the procedure on the monitor. Also I had to start prep two days before the procedure. Really the worst part of my procedure was before it started, when I walked in and the doctor had a bright red turban on!

Edited by #1Cavtrooper

The colonoscopy exam will only check your colon and lower gi tract. If your doc suspects other things, they can do an endoscopy (exam of upper gi stomach etc to beginning of small intestine). To check the small intestine, they can do a capsule endoscopy where you swallow a small capsule that has a camera in it and they hook you up to a monitor belt for about 8 hours. The camera takes continual pictures of your small intestine while it travels through and about 24 hours or so, you expel the capsule. Good luck.