• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Ad Free Subscription.jpgOne Time Financial Gift.jpg

Subscriptions and Gifts are NOT Tax Deductible. HadIt.com is NOT a Non Profit.

Question

I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.

• Like 1

Ad

This seems to be the most recent post here from new member 

capone29203

• E-2 Recruit

" I am just reading your post, but the below AF Memo 1.30.79 was uploaded by the Washington Bureau and I believe is the missing link. My father was station at Chanute AFB and passed away last year from a type of Cancer. I have requested through AF FOIA information on Chanute and Agent Orange from on or about 1968-1980, the reply of course denied its use at anytime. I followed up, by providing them with a copy of this memo and advise the information was available and keep looking  "

The 1979 Query sheet Tbird posted has a key point to these types of claims.

If it can be proved that AO was on the base , it also must be proven that the veteran's MOS put them into contact with the spraying.That would ivolve guatd duty or any type fo duty that put them on the pertimeter of the installation, thus they were exosed to the AO.

Capone, did your mother file for DIC?

Or, if she is deceased, have you filed anything for him regarding AO?  Was any claim pending prior to his death?

If so, have you formally substituted yourself as the claimant?

AO have been found in many places, Guam, Okinawa, CONUS, etc etc but exposure can be very hard to prove.

What was your father's MOS?

You mentioned he was USAF-did he serve anywhere else in or out of CONUS?

If so where did he serve, and how did he get there during the Vietnam War era- by ship or by plane?

The VA has a list of ships that they have conceded were exposed to AO, and those sailors ( or any servcice person on board the ship duting the war )can potentially be service connected for any AO presumptive they have.

Also Blue Water Navy veterans have won a Great Victory in Court recently- the info is here under Blue Water Navy-

It appears so far that VA will presume exposure to Agent Orange in any sailor who was in the  7th Fleet, during the Vietnam War, whose ship falls into this definition of the Territorial seas :

" Territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea,[1] is a belt of coastalwaters extending at most 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state. The territorial sea is regarded as the sovereign territory of the state, although foreign ships (military and civilian) are allowed innocent passage through it, or transit passage for straits; this sovereignty also extends to the airspace over and seabed below. Adjustment of these boundaries is called, in international law, maritime delimitation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters#Territorial_sea

It is from wikipedia but us BWNVVA memers are going over all of the maritime laws and this 12 nautica miles is what appears in all of those documents.

This is all a new victory and the VA might appeal the Fed Circuit decsion but qwe do not beieve this will ever get to the Supreme Court.

You mentioned he was USAF-did he serve anywhere else in or out of CONUS?

If so where did he serve, and how did he get there during the Vietnam War era- by ship or by plane?

Would he possibly have worked on  or been transported in a C 123? If so ,when. 

Certain C 123 airmen have been granted SC for exposure to AO. That info is here under a search.

The VA does not care at all about US bases or any installations being listed as Superfund sites for VA AO claims purposes.

I dont know why the older post popped up-----I a having weather problems here -maybe that is why-

to add to my advice to th new member Capone-

there are 27 claims at the BVA that came up under an AO Chanute search- if I find anything that will support your claim I will post it here-

but I am assuming that you have read over all of the AO presumptives and have found your father's cancer on the list. If it is not there perhaps his cancer was caused by some other exposure ( benezene etc) that might be provable. Do you have his complete SMRs and also his military Personnel File?

I found nothing at the BVA to help- one vet claimed asestoes exposure at Chanute, and also at Lackland ( my daughter was there (USAF) with many airman but that is the firt time I saw someone claim asbestos exposure at Lackland , 

and this statement was made by the BVA on Remand 

"Take appropriate steps, to include contacting the service department and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to determine the extent of herbicide contamination at Chanute AFB in 1973. The AOJ must then make a determination as to the likelihood of exposure by the Veteran, and readjudicate his claim of service connection for diabetes mellitus, type II, accordingly."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp16/files3/1622414.txt

Have you done that?

It is always possible he might have served elesewhere in addition to Chanute.

And possibly was exposed to AO  somewhere else.

Also there could be other theories for the cancer that caused his death, depending on his MOS.

If his spouse is still living, I hope she can file for DIC, and substitute herself in any claim was pending when he died.

This thread is all messed up-

It sure helps when new members start their own thread-