VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Kadena Afb Okinawa

Rate this question

clynch726

Question

I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.

My husband was a crew chief on F-16 fighter jets. He was stationed at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Japan. In 2000 he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and in 2001 he had a bone marrow transplant. He was forced to retire from his career because they said he was unfit to serve world wide because his cancer is incurable and he would need to be monitored regularly.

We started the journey to apply for benefits in 2000 and have been denied multiple times. We finally hired an attorney who is very experienced with this type of matter. We are at the stage where we will appeal to a higher stage. If that doesn't work, we'll go to the hearing stage. I cannot believe they deny AO was at Kadena. My husband saw it being sprayed around buildings for weed control and he actually at times sprayed the area.

We also included another area where he could have become ill.  He handled jet fuel almost everyday for over 20 years, which could have contributed to his situation.

That's our story. Our attorney believes we will win. I hope he is right.

These posts are a little out of order but my reply is to the poster today-Lynette-

You stated :

"We also included another area where he could have become ill.  He handled jet fuel almost everyday for over 20 years, which could have contributed to his situation."

"That's our story. Our attorney believes we will win. I hope he is right." I do too!

I will search the BVA to see if there us anything there that can help- I did find this case:

The veteran was exposed to AO but was also exposed to JP 4 and had colon cancer.(Not an AO presumptive)

Here, the January 2019 VA examiner and Dr. M.M  , the January 2019 VA examiner and Dr. M.M.K. are competent to opine as to the relationship between the Veteran’s herbicide and jet fuel exposure and his colorectal cancer.  Although the physicians reached different conclusions, both opinions were supported by an adequate rationale that included references to medical literature.   Thus, resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran’s death is granted.
.K. are competent to opine as to the relationship between the Veteran’s herbicide and jet fuel exposure and his colorectal cancer.  Although the physicians reached different conclusions, both opinions were supported by an adequate rationale that included references to medical literature.   Thus, resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran’s death is granted.

In part:

"Here, the January 2019 VA examiner and Dr. M.M.K. are competent to opine as to the relationship between the Veteran’s herbicide and jet fuel exposure and his colorectal cancer.  Although the physicians reached different conclusions, both opinions were supported by an adequate rationale that included references to medical literature.   Thus, resolving reasonable doubt in the Veteran’s favor, the Board finds entitlement to service connection for the cause of the Veteran’s death is granted."

"A December 2013 private opinion from Drs. G.I.G. and B.R. concluded that it was more likely than not that both exposure to Agent Orange and jet fuel during service contributed to the Veteran’s colorectal cancer. Dr. G.G. and Dr. B.R.’s rationale relied on multiple articles, among other sources.  The opinion discusses the carcinogenic effects of Agent Orange and jet fuel.  The opinion names articles which it reports link Agent Orange and jet fuel to colorectal cancer.  Specifically, the opinion uses the Institute of Medicine’s classification of Agent Orange into the category of “Inadequate or Insufficient Evidence to Determine Association” to show there is evidence of biologic plausibility.  Additionally, the opinion discusses a study on chromosomal abnormalities in sheep which found that exposure to Agent Orange increased the risk of chromosomal breakage. The opinion reported that this study explained that animal and human cells have a strong qualitative similarity in response to dioxins, which is a byproduct of Agent Orange. 

A January 2019 VA opinion concluded that the Veteran’s rectal cancer was less likely than not caused by his exposure to Agent Orange and jet fuel. The VA doctor’s opinion relies on research and directly refutes the research presented by the private opinion. The opinion notes that there is no medical evidence that JP-4 jet fuel nor Agent Orange causes or is a risk factor for rectal cancer. "

https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files9/19173836.txt

Have you obtained any IMOs that will help the claim? The JP-4 nexus could be the key to the multiple myeloma condition.

This is a far different disability , in the BVA decision, but often only a very strong IMO/IME =Independent Medical Opinion/ Examination can fully resolve this type of claim.

Then again , I am sure the lawyer has already suggested that to you.

Question:

You said: "He was forced to retire from his career because they said he was unfit to serve world wide because his cancer is incurable and he would need to be monitored regularly."

Do you mean the Military gave him a medical discharge as "unfit to serve"?

MODS can you help fix this thread?

Lynette is a new member and both of my replies seem lost in the older thread, but I am sure I posted one n Page 4, then page 5 popped up for my second post , but that other post there is from the older thread .

I am having much trouble today trying to get to Claims Research forum- something seems different.

Berta, I'm having trouble navigating. Anyway, no C-123 travel or exposure.

Being an aircraft mechanic on the F-16's, he was exposed everyday to jet fuel. He had it on his skin. He worked like that every day. Then on Kadena Air Base in 1973-1975, he was exposed to AO while it was being sprayed to kill weeds all around the flightline. He at times sprayed the fence lines for weed control.

Lonnie almost died from Multiple Myeloma and it took him from his career that he truly loved. But for the grace of God!

We have filed and appealed, ....  Finally, we hired an experienced lawyer in this area. You know, the government will never admit that AO was on Kadena. We found some similar cases and sent them to our lawyers. Frankly, I don't know what else to do. This lawyer and his paralegal are truly working hard and I'm hopeful, I guess because they are.