VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu And Work

Rate this question

babycatcher

Question

Hello, I'm new here and hoping for some advice. Receiving TDIU and working very occasionally (a few times a year) for a hospital, as well as a bit of self employment doing homebirths. I recently got a call from the VSO that they need me to fill out an employment form for VA, or my benefits will be cut, then got the same form from the rep agency in Oakland. First question for you all; how do I report my self earnings, or, how do I account for my expenses that I put down on the schedule C at tax time? The form asks for gross income, and I feel this is just a way to take away my IU. There is no way I am, or could, work again full time. :wacko: Next, I got a letter from Oakland saying I needed another exam to confirm my conditions, or something like that! As far as I know, I've got P & T status, got an ID and base privileges, etc. Whats up? Anybody else being messed with like this????? Please help, as I've got to respond ASAP, or forgo the groceries... :)

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Don:

I am 100% PTSDer, 40% back injuries & 10% other ... all combat related and all are P&T & Schedular and I was told (by various VA individuals) that I could work ... even though I could not hold down a job.

With that said ... my SO and another SO (if my memory serves my correctly) told me ... NOOOOO WORK OF ANY TYPE ... while on a 100% PTSD rating ... period.

I believe that you are correct in your assessment of the ..."PTSD Disability Ratings" ... (which is VERY different from all of the other ratings).

Now ... if I was 100% P&T & Schedular for perhaps a loss of 2 limbs ... (example Max Cleland technically was was 100%, P&T, per Schedular .... for the loss of 3 limbs) .... then I could apply for the job that he had as Secretary of the DVA, under the Carter Administration.

Your are VERY correct ... when it comes to a PTSD rating.

PTSD veterans need to remember ... PTSD is PTSD ... no matter if your are picking flowers or being an SO. And being an SO requires a lot more constant brain power than 100% PTSDers would have in my opinion.

PTSD is for the loss of some of your brain power skills and NOT for a physical disability.

I would not want a TRUE 100% PTSD veteran, as an SO ... working on my claim !!!!!!!!

FYI .... I have a hell of a time with paperwork and etc. .... and I only post here when my brain is running fast enough to post. Some days ... I am just not able to read, think and post a good .. posting.

Thanks for your informative post ....

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

Don,

You are 100% correct! I forgot to point this out. If a veteran is receiving 100% compensation due to a mental disorder and is working in any capacity, then they will more than likely get a look see from the VA.

The 100% criteria for mental disorders is largely based on "social and occupational Impairment.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17

• HadIt.com Elder

To: Vike, Don, Adora, babycatcher, Pete, rickb, Mike, John, Berta, Jim and all:

(I wanted to see if I could get all the posters in order .. a little brain quiz for me .. hope I didn't miss anyone on this thread ... lol ... :unsure: )

This is a great example of how a thread should work.

With everyone postings their own thoughts, info and experiences and then .... boiling all that info down to a a few simple & easy to understand facts.

I sure wish that all the threads worked this well.

With each posting ... I learn a lot from all of you ... thanks ... :rolleyes:

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :blink:

To All:

I just wanted to say thanks for the thoughts, ideas and info; all mostly what I know in my heart to be true. Cause I'm just like you all, struggling day to day to get through, and for sure I don't want to be seen as a 'user' of the system. God knows I fought these symptoms long enough with our old friend denial, and I'm a truthful person, which is why I'm having such a hard time with the damn form!

Wings, your idea is about the same thing my VA clinic NP said; she was afraid if I gave up my few births I'd sink deep into the pit we know PTSD can be. So I guess I'll ask for that in writing, put it down on paper AND cut way down on everything, and start saying no. Fortunately my kids are grown, the oldest is over on Okinawa right now. :rolleyes:

Thanks-Babycatcher