VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Benefits Questionnaires

I'm in the process of utilizing one of these DBQs with my Orthopedic surgeon for a IME, and the only crucial item that has us stumped, is how does this form work it's way in when writing out the IME. I understand the format of the letter is going to change somewhat, but exactly how?

In my case, we're using it to rebut some of the items/opinions my C&P examiner noted in his DBQ for a current claim being adjudicated. Does my Dr just argue the differences of opinions pointed out in their exams only? Or does it changed anything at all, and just use the DBQ as a supplement. I realize this is something just coming out, and I probably won't get a correct answer, but I'm open to anyone's opinions.

Coot

• 2 weeks later...

Cooter, I'm not sure I understand your situation fully, but to answer re the letters: There are now DBQs for almost every condition, mental & physical. The new letter format is called SNL (simplified notification letter). Basically you will not be getting the huge ponderous ratings with all the explanations as to how we determined your claim. Instead, the ratings will be short & sweet, with only grants or confirm&continue ratings listed. The actual notification letter you get will explain the decisions, but not in depth like it used to be. (ie: if you claim hypertension & none was found in either your service or treatment records, the denial will simply read along the lines of "denied because there is no diagnosed condition."). The DBQ format of the exams allows the rater to more accurately input the evaluation, and lessens the chance that a doctor will miss discussing a key element (such as range of motion for a joint or if thee's arthritis) because they are all bulleted and must be answered in the same order by the doctor as we input them into our ratings.

• HadIt.com Elder

Back about 45 year ago it was the same way. You got two pages of reasons why you should be satisfied with 10% for being unable to work, and by the way don't bother us any more.

John>..The way I understand, these DBQs has already been utilized 6 other times during the past years. Maybe they used one of these DBQs with you..lol

Veldrina>..Thanks for explaining that part of it. I noticed after reading my copy of the C&P exam I had recently, the Questionnaire didn't have anything written about medications and their effects. Is this something they left out on purpose, cause I thought I was reading somewhere that it was suppose to be added to it.

Coot

Edited by cooter

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use