VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Next Steps After Filing

Rate this question

JohnM

Question

Good Morning Everyone

After you take the first step of filing and you get confirmation what are the next steps?

Do they set you up for a physical? or do you just wait

Yesterday John had seen his therapist for vertigo, which is not working so she did a few test to check his back and eyes. found out that the PN has started on the right side also. Because of his vertigo his balance is not so good, She suggest seeing the eye doctor again. Will they except what a therapist has to say also? I did ask her for her notes ( records ) should we take them to the VA office when we get them? We have an appointment to talk to the VA ( not sure what you would call her but she did help us with the intial paper work to file). Everytime you see a Dr. do you get his notes and take them to her or just wait.

Sorry for all the questions, Hope you can understand what I'm asking

We recieved confirmation that they recieved our paper work but I noticed that they did not have everything down that we put down plus I told John we need to add more. Do you need to restart over again? I guess these are question I will be asking also when we go back on Aug 2nd

Thanks

JM'S Wife

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

John M

The VA should set the veteran up with a C&P exam. In the meantime you should gather all the evidence you can to prove service-connection and the severity of the condition. You can find out exactly how the VA rates the condition in question and what the symptoms are that lead to a higher evaluation. You have to be your own personal injury attorney. There are three legs to the service connection process: Current disability, service medical records that show an injury or illness in service, and a nexus between the in service injury/illness and the current disability. Once you establish service connection the next step is to show the severity of the disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a lot of waiting involved with any VA Claim. However, its also an opportunity to research the claim, make Doctors and Clinic Appointments, review the claim. You can also consider asking for a Hearing or waiting to see what comes up. In most cases you will be scheduled for a C&P (Compensation & Physical) Exam. Don't miss one of these and if you have to call and make arrangements for another time.

If your husband is not working I suggest that you also file for Social Security, try to round up all the paperwork that helps prove the disability, request an earnings report from Social Security and secure documentation from family about how your husbands disability has changed him.

You might consider reviewing a game plan with your Service Officer. Anything that VA requests make it a priority to respond quickly. It is also a good time to go to VARO and review the "C" File. Many Vets are surprised what is in it or not in it. Its important to update information that is incorrect or vital to the claim.

Good Luck