Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Education Benifits For Children Of Disabled Veterans ?

Done wit this

Question

Good

Morning

Lets say I get my Claim done sometime in my Lifetime. What kind of educational benifits will my Children have. This is a major thing for me. I have a large family. I am hoping that this helps my kids with their college. Will the VA help them. Lets say I get 45%. What kind of help will children of Disabled Veterans from the VA or Goverment? Also Will they Have medical Benifits TOO?

Macool

Edited by macool

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest jstacy

Hope this helps.

§ 3.807 Dependents' educational assistance; certification.

For the purposes of dependents' educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. chapter 35 (see §21.3020), the child, spouse or surviving spouse of a veteran or serviceperson will have basic eligibility if the following conditions are met:

(a) General. Basic eligibility exists if the veteran:

(1) Was discharged from service under conditions other than dishonorable, or died in service; and

(2) Has a permanent total service-connected disability; or

(3) A permanent total service-connected disability was in existence at the date of the veteran's death; or

(4) Died as a result of a service-connected disability; or (if a serviceperson)

(5) Is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces and now is, and, for a period of more than 90 days, has been listed by the Secretary concerned as missing in action, captured in line of duty by a hostile force, or forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign Government or power.

(:) Service. Service-connected disability or death must have been the result of active military, naval, or air service on or after April 21, 1898. (Pub. L. 89–358) Effective September 30, 1966, educational assistance for a child (but not for a spouse or surviving spouse) may be authorized based on service in the Philippine Commonwealth Army or as a Philippine Scout as defined in §3.40(:wacko:, ©, or (d) of this part.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3565)

© Service connection. For purpose of this section, the term “service-connected disability” encompasses combinations of disabilities of paired organs or extremities treated as if service-connected under the provisions of §3.383(a) of this part. The standards and criteria for determining service connection, either direct or presumptive, are those applicable to the period of service during which the disability was incurred or aggravated (38 U.S.C. 3501(a)). Cases where eligibility for service-connected benefits is established under §3.358, 3.361, or 3.800 are not included.

(d) Relationship—(1) “Child” means the son or daughter of a veteran who meets the requirements of §3.57, except as to age and marital status.

(2) “Spouse” means a person whose marriage to the veteran meets the requirements of §3.50(a) of this part.

(3) “Surviving spouse” means a person whose marriage to the veteran meets the requirements of §§3.50(:angry: or 3.52 of this part.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1160, 3501)

Cross References:

Discontinuance. See §3.503(a)(8) Election; concurrent benefits. See §3.707 Nonduplication. See §21.3023 of this chapter.

[29 FR 9537, July 14, 1964, as amended at 31 FR 4347, Mar. 12, 1966; 34 FR 840, Jan. 18, 1969; 38 FR 8658, Apr. 5, 1973; 40 FR 54245, Nov. 21, 1975; 53 FR 46607, Nov. 18, 1988; 59 FR 62585, Dec. 6, 1994; 69 FR 46435, Aug. 3, 2004]

§ 3.808 Automobiles or other conveyances; certification.

• HadIt.com Elder

Macool,

Unless you are rated 100% P&T or you die from SC injury, its a no go on educational benefits so keep after them.

Right-

they will add additional comp in your SC comp check for your dependents but I think you have to be over 30% SC and it is not much.

CHAMPVA too - Civilian Health And Medical for Dependents- VA- that too depends on the 100% P & T criteria or SC death.

A disabled veterans children however are probably able to get Pell Grants for higher education and some states offer special tuition assistance for children of disabled vets.

I believe -even if the child is awarded Chap 35 due to vet parents 100% P & T -they can get both the grants and the Chap 35. And even a scholarship-

If your child serves in the military , under Chapter 35 they will extend the Chapter 35 benefits for the complete military time. My daughter got 7 years additional Chap 35 due to her military service.

Anyone out there whose family member is applying for Chap 35-

make sure the school is fully VA approved, and if they get a denial make sure they fight that right away.

Sometimes the VA educational department makes big errors on reading these apps.

(an oxymoron?)

They denied both me and my daughter on Chap 35 (we sent all the evidence they needed)but they squared that away in three weeks when we raised hell.