VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health C&p Exam Results

Rate this question

Quaymar

Question

I have a copy of my mental health C&P exam FINALLY and the diagnoses is as follows;

296.33 Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe without psychotic features.

Memory

Remote Memory: Normal

Recent Memory: Mildly Impaired

Immediate Memory: Mildly Impaired

MMPI-2 was administered - It is noteworthy for extreme elevations on scales 1, 2, and 3. This pattern is often referred to as "conversion V" referring to the tendency of the individual to "convert" psychological disturbances into a preoccupation with physical functioning (huh?), to a degree which exceeds what might be a normal focus in the possible presence of very significant medical issues.

In addition to the significant elevation on scale 2 (depression scale), this profile reveals the presence of a sorely depleted reservoir of emotional energy (Man, that sure is true). This scale configuration is associated with a diagnosis of a major depressive disorder. This configuration also indicates the presence of disturbed, ruminative thought processes, as well as vulnerability to excessive use of alcohol. Individuals producing this profile acknowledge that life is a strain, and admit to feelings of depression and despair. They report difficulties with concentration and memory (absolutely) and acknowledge that they worry excessively...

Comment on validity of results: Valid.

GAF score: 53.

Is there total occupational and social impairment due to mental disorder signs and symptoms? No.

If there is not total occupational and social impairment, do mental disorder signs and symptoms result in deficiencies in the following areas; Judgment, thinking, family relations, work, mood or school? No. (SERIOUSLY???)

Is there reduced reliability and productivity due to mental disorder symptoms? Yes.

Examples and pertinent symptoms: The service member is vulnerable to impairments of attention, concentration and short-term memory. He is frequently preoccupied with disturbed, ruminative thought processes. His preoccupation with physical symptoms and concern about his future fuel his depressed mood.

Does the patient have panic attacks? Yes.

Frequency, severity, duration and effects of functioning; The patient reports periodic panic attacks. More than once per week.

Is there presence of suicidal thoughts? Yes.

Attention: Attention disturbance (Easily distracted), attention disturbance (Short attention span).

Based on the VASRD, I'm not sure if this means a rating of 30% or 50%. Any feedback or questions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are working I think you are in the 50% range. If you are not working I think 70%. This is a guess. Do you have an IMO? I got an IMO that said I had to be poured into my clouthing every morning and had the GAF of a jelly fish and I got 70% and TDIU and I was already on SSDI. Whatever they grant you go out and get an IMO to rebutt it and get more.

John

If you are working I think you are in the 50% range. If you are not working I think 70%. This is a guess. Do you have an IMO? I got an IMO that said I had to be poured into my clouthing every morning and had the GAF of a jelly fish and I got 70% and TDIU and I was already on SSDI. Whatever they grant you go out and get an IMO to rebutt it and get more.

John

No, I don't have an independent medical opinion yet but I may have to get one if my NARSUM is all messed up. And I am working right now on Active Duty but not for much longer depending on how long the MEB takes.

Edited by Quaymar

• HadIt.com Elder

The big thing in your case is to get retirement which means at least 30% as opposed to disability separation for 20% or less. You may find it impossible to believe the military could get rid of you with less than 30% disability medical retirement but that is really their goal.

John

The big thing in your case is to get retirement which means at least 30% as opposed to disability separation for 20% or less. You may find it impossible to believe the military could get rid of you with less than 30% disability medical retirement but that is really their goal.

John

Yeah, from what I have read, I believe that they will try that. However, not only do I have these mental health issues but I also have may back, left foot and left wrist. With all of those combined, I should get 30% or more but I am not counting on anything at this point.

There are key things that the rater will input into the evaluation builder to generate an evaluation or percentage. The key items I see in your examination that they will enter into the system are:

1) a mental condition has been diagnosed (major depression) the specific diagnosis doesnt matter as long as its an Axis I, which it is.

2) GAF score 53, which means moderate impairment

3) panic attacks weekly

4) reduced reliability

5) suicidal ideations

from what I see, you will get a VA rating of 50% at a minimum and possibly a 70%

Even though you had mild memory problems the system gives the choice of short term AND long term memory impairment so since yours is recent and not long term, they may not choose that symptom.

If the examiner had said yes to deficiencies in occupational and social functioning you would rate at a 70%

Hope this helps!

There are key things that the rater will input into the evaluation builder to generate an evaluation or percentage. The key items I see in your examination that they will enter into the system are:

1) a mental condition has been diagnosed (major depression) the specific diagnosis doesnt matter as long as its an Axis I, which it is.

2) GAF score 53, which means moderate impairment

3) panic attacks weekly

4) reduced reliability

5) suicidal ideations

from what I see, you will get a VA rating of 50% at a minimum and possibly a 70%

Even though you had mild memory problems the system gives the choice of short term AND long term memory impairment so since yours is recent and not long term, they may not choose that symptom.

If the examiner had said yes to deficiencies in occupational and social functioning you would rate at a 70%

Hope this helps!

Thank you. I know that I could make a strong argument that the doctor should have said yes rather than no. How could all of these symptoms NOT impair occupational and social functioning???