VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Receive Family Benefits For Stepchildren?

Rate this question

KennyJ

Question

My wife has two children one 5, and one 6. I will be having my ALJ hearing in September. That will make 19 months since I requested the hearing. Will I recieve family Benefits for my wife and her children if I receive SSDI.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

Hi everybody,

The rules for SS have changed over the years. SSD for our family was if the children are over 16 the wife does not get any monthly money for SS whether she is working or not. Childrem who life in the home or children that you pay child support will draw a monthly allowance for SS. We have only one child at home now and he draws the entire amount for the childrens benefit. I was told the amount was 50% of what my husband draws.

The childs amount stops when they turn 18 years old. Unless they have not graduated from high school then they can draw until the graduate. They DO NOT get benefits after 18 and while going to college like they used to they have taken that little benefit away.

There are alot more questions make an appt witrh SS and go in and talk to them in person. Some of the employees are vary helpful.

Jangrin

my kids get benifits but my wife gets nothing becuase she works. also my ssd is taxable becuase my wife makes more than 32,000 ayear. I dont know if I can get around this if I fille seperate tax returns. until I get the facts i just pay the tax better safe than sorry we all know the goverment always gets there money.