VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental Implants

Rate this question

grent

Question

my question is this once again

what is the final ruling on VA providing dental implants for 100% P and T vets

do they pay fee basis dental implants

just trying to get the final word is it yes or no

thanks

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The VA does not define the dental benefit for eligible vets. The complexity of care available varies from facility to facility. There is no regulation or policy that mandates that, for instance, implants must be provided. It does no good to write a congressman or senator. The answer is always: Mr. Smith was provided the same level of care as all other veterans at this facility.

The only time teeth are service connected for treatment puposes is in the case of service trauma. The VA will repair teeth documented to have been damaged by trauma while on AD.

Every episode of "medically compelling" dental care is initiated by a physician consult, and reviewed by the service chief. Bleeding gums in a Coumadin patient won't meet the criteria.

I am a retired USAF dentist, 80% sc, and chief of the 4th largest dental service in the VHA. John999, you don't know what you're talking about. Resources which I don't control limit what my staff can provide, not lack of respect for our patients. In fact my professional staff includes 4 retired USAF DDS, 2 retired USA, an ex-Navy dentist, and two reservists. We consider it a privilege to treat our fellow vets.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA does not define the dental benefit for eligible vets. The complexity of care available varies from facility to facility. There is no regulation or policy that mandates that, for instance, implants must be provided. It does no good to write a congressman or senator. The answer is always: Mr. Smith was provided the same level of care as all other veterans at this facility.

The only time teeth are service connected for treatment puposes is in the case of service trauma. The VA will repair teeth documented to have been damaged by trauma while on AD.

Every episode of "medically compelling" dental care is initiated by a physician consult, and reviewed by the service chief. Bleeding gums in a Coumadin patient won't meet the criteria.

I am a retired USAF dentist, 80% sc, and chief of the 4th largest dental service in the VHA. John999, you don't know what you're talking about. Resources which I don't control limit what my staff can provide, not lack of respect for our patients. In fact my professional staff includes 4 retired USAF DDS, 2 retired USA, an ex-Navy dentist, and two reservists. We consider it a privilege to treat our fellow vets.

Thank you very much for helping Veterans and especially explaining some of the VA mysteries. I just always thought the reason the VA did not do implants was cause they were cheap bastards. However the Dallas VA has been much better in my opinion even paying 6,000 for dental work done by my private dentist.

I just wish that all Veterans could have access to dental care.

Thanks for your service... and the information setting the record straight,.....

• HadIt.com Elder

Vadds

Veterans rated as totally disabled are eligible to receive complete dental care at the expense of the VA. Maybe you better read those regulations before you say someone does not know what they are talking about since you aim your barbs at me. When I need an implant I go to someone who knows what they are doing and not to some idiot who can't even fill a tooth. In the last couple of years I have paid for two crowns and an implant out of my own pocket due to the fact that I don't feel my VA dentists are competent to do the job right. They filed the same tooth twice before I gave up and went to a private dentist to get it done right. The only teeth I ever had pulled were by army and VA dentists. The VA dentist pulled the wrong tooth. I would really hate to believe the VA is full of cheap bastards that consider saving a buck more important than a veteran's health. I know the individual doctors have guidelines. If VA medical care is the future of government health care that is the example that scares people. VA medical and dental care should be the light on a hill for all health care. I am afraid it is no light at all.

John King

http://www.va.gov/DE.../infoforpts.asp

Information for Veteran Dental Patients

Understanding Veterans' Needs

Patients are treated by compassionate and responsive dental staff familiar with the unique health care needs of Veterans. The VA dental corps includes many current and former members of the U.S. Armed Forces, who because of their own military experience, understand Veterans' health concerns.

Highly Trained Dentists

VA dentists use the latest dental procedures and pain control techniques. Most VA dentists have received advanced training in their specialties.

State-of-the-Art Clinics

Veteran dental care is provided in modern clinics that adhere to the highest standards of hygiene and infection control.

Types of Services

Dental benefits include a full range of services for eligible Veterans. Below are some of the many services offered by VA Dentistry:

• Regularly scheduled cleaning and x-rays.

• Restorative procedures such as fillings, crowns and bridges.

• Comfortable, well-fitting dentures.

• Oral surgery such as tooth extractions.

• Access to oral and facial reconstruction surgery resulting from trauma or serious illness.

Convenience

VA dental services are located throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the Philippines. You can find a dental clinic in your area by using the interactive map on the following VA linked page:

Locate a VA DentalClinic

Bay Pines VA Healthcare System

Dental Service

We offer comprehensive dental services for eligible veterans including:

restorations (fillings), dental prophylaxis (cleaning), periodontal surgery, partial dentures including Valplast, complete dentures,

digital imaging, crowns, bridges,implants

, oral surgery (extractions & preprosthetic surgery),

maxillofacial fractures, bonding,

veneers, consults/evaluations, endodontics (root canal therapy), oral pathology & biopsies (oral disease),

oral oncology (oral cancer treatment), ocular prostheses, oral & maxillofacial prosthodontics,

and an on station dental laboratory. Veterans who are eligible for dental care are generally

outpatients with 100% service connection or former-POWs, or have a service related tooth loss/injury,

rehabilitation Chapter 31, and other selected circumstances as determined by the VHA dental eligibility guidelines.

Hello Carlie and John.....Thank you for the information that is CORRECT. It is also covered in the Directive I posted. Meat and Potatoes Carlie...... you go girl.

Hello Vadds thank you for your service . NEVER GIVE UP . God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate