VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental Implants

Rate this question

grent

Question

my question is this once again

what is the final ruling on VA providing dental implants for 100% P and T vets

do they pay fee basis dental implants

just trying to get the final word is it yes or no

thanks

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Vadds,

I want to also thank you for working with our veterans and helping out. You and others in the VHA are unsung heroes. I for one have been in the VA health care system for about 12 years. Almost all of the Doctors and Nurses I have had were very fine folks and I owe them alot. Twice having them save my life. Many of these fine professionals were the ones who discovered the causes of my illnesses and had it not been for a couple of them I would still be going thru more testing without results or any diagnosis.

You bring up a point that seems to be very common. The regulations will say one thing ,,,,the VBA part of it and then the Doctors and Nurses or clerks in the VAMCs, and clinics say another. Or the VHA. This seems to be happening alot and it actually should not be anything new to us. It is a very confusing situation and I have also had a couple of experiences where the regulations were not clear or had been changed and the VAMCs could not define the clear road to take.

It is and has been my opinion and some others that the Regional offices and the VBA as a whole have too much power and that the VAMC and clinics and doctors like yourself really have their hands tied. In reality it should be that the Doctors should be able to define the care and the need. Not untrained clerks in Regional offices or VBA heirarchy, which wield power to trump or stop the diagnosis or even treatment that trained medical personnel could give. It is so sad and results in improper power struggles especially since the Hippocratic Oath that all doctors have chosen to take to care for the patient and those sick runs up against the beauracracy and the mindset of those outside of this group of folks who only are concerned about budget not the patient. Running contrary to those like yourself who have sworn to themselves to try and cure and help those in affliction. I wish it would change but it involves the almighty dollar and it must be frustrating for folks like you who run into this and can't really treat your patients the way you would like.

What I also have experienced is that the treatment for nonservice connected veterans is looked at differently by the doctors as compared to service connected. This is probably also a part of the problem I have explained above. They certainly did not tell me there was going to be any problems like this when I entered the military. I did not ever have to try to get dental work done so I cannot comment on the implant possibility though I now may be able to look at the regulations to use it as I am now service connected.

My hat is off to you sir. Thank you again. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

The post below talks about baypines which states in their procedure about dental implants. Not all VAMC dental clinics state specifically "dental implant" in their services offered. See Spokane VAMC. I guess therefore, it's up to the dentisits wether you get implants or not. I agree, this is typical of VA care. Another example is I was told by a provider that I was not going to get certain tests for my service connected cancer related GI problem, because the "VA had to cut it's budget 10%". Now, maybe the test might not have been as necessary as first thought, but regardless to tell the vet that the VA is cutting costs so you won't get the test as being the only explaination given seems unacceptable, somewhat cold blooded and very inconsiderate. These type of expainations and information that dental implants or certain tests won't be given are reasons vets get "set off" and angry. Some common sense should be applied. As in dental implants-either every VA does them or none does. Perhaps a warning or information advising that implants are available from the VA, but access depends on the doctors examination and justification for the implant. Baypines says they're available but should indicate that doesn't mean you'll get them.

Hello Jon,

Though I do not go to Baypines it seems that there is definetly confussion that runs thru the VA. I too would have been upset if the VA would have told me sorry , due to budget constraints we have to cancel your test. I would make sure that there are Directives that state that or a written law changed , because the VA MUST treat a Vet and if they can't they must supply and outsource or fee basis.

I also would like to back up something concerning the VA and the difference between VBA and VHA.

I have personally witnessed on several different occasions with Veterans going off on Doctors and Nurses within the VHA concerning their claims problems. Most Veterans do not realize the difference and they just suppose that the VA is the VA so they go off on the wrong folks. Yes , I have had a few doctors that were not doing their job and trying to mess with me because of the issues being nonservice connected at the time but they were few and far between. Sometimes the Veteran needs to remember the VA is comprised of 3 different groups and only one of them is involving their claims adjudication and usually is the one that makes life so difficult for our Veterans and their spouses and dependents. Thanks for your service Jon, NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

• HadIt.com Elder

If you really want something from the VHA you can often get it if you are willing to really fight for it. I was told I could not get Cymbalta. I got it. I have had all kinds of tests done that many VA doctors would not have prescribed for me. It depends how bad you want something. They told me I could not get fentynal patch and I got it. Most VA doctors don't even know which diseases are AO presumptives.

I do have a special ax to grind against the VA regarding dental care. I have had a dentist at the VA tell me that there is much evidence that poor dental hygene can lead to cardiac problems. Many, many vets have poor dental care due to expense. For them to pretend that failure to provide dental care for all vets is acceptable gets my goat. Vietnam vets not only face cardiac problems from AO but also from poor dental care. I know that this is due to "cheap bastard" syndrome although it may not be the fault in any way of the dentists and VA health care system, but it is someone's fault.

John