VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Family Tree

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I have a question, maybe someone can help with. My wife and I went into our local VSRO yesterday, being I had a dental appointment. This concerns one my wives uncle who was in ww2, and got out on a medical discharge. They found him out in the jungle more dead, then alive, suffering with malaria, and who know what else. he was in Guadalcanal (spelling) and also survived the Bataan death march, but when he got out it had affected his mind, so he never applied for any disability, and didn't want anything to do with the VA. he was drafted out of MN, live here all his life, except for the time spent in the army, he died in 1979 at the local VA hospital, he got 100% service-connected for a few months before he died. My question is my wife went in to have a look at his SMR, for the family tree, but the VARO person told her that they were out in Laguna Niguel, Calif. greater LA Vet care center for whatever reason, does anyone know why they would be out there, as he was never in California in his life. He died at the local VA hospital in Fargo, ND. does anyone have a 800 number for this hospital, as we have a telephone number, but will cost a small fortune to call out there to find out this information, but will do it if we have too, what I don't understand is why the R0 wouldn't do it for her, one person told her they would help, just bring in his name, SSN, and they would get the information, but the woman, when she saw his records were out in Calif, acted real funny and couldn't get rid of us fast enough, so just wandering if anyone could help, my wife with this problem.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest DON20906

Laguna Nigel is a repository for historical records that were pulled from NPRC and have little or no chance of ever being called up, so they don't get sent back to RMC. Once records are pulled from NPRC they are considered on permanent loan to VA. There is a similar one in Washington DC. If the niece were to write a letter to RMC asking for the records as part of a geneological research project, I bet VA would comply...eventually. If they refuse, A FOIA request would be in order.

I have a question, maybe someone can help with. My wife and I went into our local VSRO yesterday, being I had a dental appointment. This concerns one my wives uncle who was in ww2, and got out on a medical discharge. They found him out in the jungle more dead, then alive, suffering with malaria, and who know what else. he was in Guadalcanal (spelling) and also survived the Bataan death march, but when he got out it had affected his mind, so he never applied for any disability, and didn't want anything to do with the VA. he was drafted out of MN, live here all his life, except for the time spent in the army, he died in 1979 at the local VA hospital, he got 100% service-connected for a few months before he died. My question is my wife went in to have a look at his SMR, for the family tree, but the VARO person told her that they were out in Laguna Niguel, Calif. greater LA Vet care center for whatever reason, does anyone know why they would be out there, as he was never in California in his life. He died at the local VA hospital in Fargo, ND. does anyone have a 800 number for this hospital, as we have a telephone number, but will cost a small fortune to call out there to find out this information, but will do it if we have too, what I don't understand is why the R0 wouldn't do it for her, one person told her they would help, just bring in his name, SSN, and they would get the information, but the woman, when she saw his records were out in Calif, acted real funny and couldn't get rid of us fast enough, so just wandering if anyone could help, my wife with this problem.

Frosty -I am switching my post from social---oh heck- dont know how-but here is the link-

I think you presented something that someone in this forum might be able to help with-

http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help...una-niguel.html

I believe your wife sure is the next of kin based on your reply and wonder what info this link might bring-

Frosty-(OK all- this part should be social I know but I have a point here- I have American Indian relations-My uncle had the Family Tree done at Harvard U when we was on faculty there many years ago-

the tribe and the story is in that but he forgot to send me a copy -

So I accessed it all in our local state archives and found it there too-

but I seemed to have lost that documentation when I moved to NY-

Long story but I used the Internet-and -for free-but got copies of the court records of my Wampanoag relatives-and other stuff, I actually was able to find my cousin Lone Wolf and we have stayed in Touch.)

I hope this isnt going to cost you lots of cash-

I got talked into joining that Ancestry.com even though I told them my relatives are mainly not here but for the Wampanoags and a few others-it was hard to get out of their grasp-

Be careful what info you post on the web about personal stuff-)

My point is-

Men and women- doesn't this seem odd about the LA vet care center?

It is hard to consider but could someone assume the identity of a deceased vet and then get VA care?

Actually I think there is a case like that at the IG web site-

Even though the Next of Kin stuff is at NARA- someone could have said they were next of kin on this vet and gotten some info they shouldn't have?

Guest DON20906

I don't think the Vet Care center has anything to do with the Laguna Nigel Federal Records Center, unless they're co-located on the same grounds. The following is from M21-1MR, Part III, Subpart ii, Chapter 5, Section E.

20. Transfer Requests for Veterans’ Claims Folders From a Federal Records Center

Introduction

This section contains information on transfer requests for veterans’ claims folders from a FRC. It includes information on· FRC locations· the request process, and· second requests.

Change Date November 15, 2004

a. FRC Locations The table below contains the locations of the FRCs and their corresponding regional offices (RO).

FRC VA Regional Office

Chicago, IL (050) Chicago, IL (328)

Dayton, OH (051) Cleveland, OH (325)

Denver, CO (080) Denver, CO (339)

East Point, GA (040) Atlanta, GA (316)

Fort Worth, TX (070) Waco, TX (349)

Kansas City, MO (060) Wichita, KS (452)

Laguna Niguel, CA (091) Los Angeles, CA (344)

NPRC, St. Louis, MO:· Civilian (061), or· Military (062) St. Louis, MO (331)

Philadelphia, PA (021) Philadelphia, PA (310)

Bayonne, NJ (020) Newark, NJ (309)

San Bruno, CA (090) San Francisco, CA (343)

Seattle, WA (100) Seattle, WA (340)

Suitland, MA (030) Washington, D.C. (372)

Waltham, MA (010)Pittsfield, MA (011) Boston, MA (301)

Continued on next page

20. Transfer Requests for Veterans’ Claims Folders From a Federal Records Center, Continued

b. Request Process The table below describes the process for requesting a veteran’s claims folder located at an FRC.

Stage Description

1 Using COVERS, send the transfer request to the RO that is nearest the FRC where the folder is located.

2 The RO nearest the FRC batches and delivers the messages to the FRC.

3 The FRC sends the folder directly to the requesting RO.

c. Second Requests If the folder is not received within ten days of the original request, process a second request using COVERS.Reference: For information on using COVERS to process a second request, see the COVERS User Guide at http://152.124.238.193/bl/21/publicat/Users/Index.htm - bmc.

Sorry about the formatting.

Frosty -I am switching my post from social---oh heck- dont know how-but here is the link-

I think you presented something that someone in this forum might be able to help with-

http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help...una-niguel.html

I believe your wife sure is the next of kin based on your reply and wonder what info this link might bring-

Frosty-(OK all- this part should be social I know but I have a point here- I have American Indian relations-My uncle had the Family Tree done at Harvard U when we was on faculty there many years ago-

the tribe and the story is in that but he forgot to send me a copy -

So I accessed it all in our local state archives and found it there too-

but I seemed to have lost that documentation when I moved to NY-

Long story but I used the Internet-and -for free-but got copies of the court records of my Wampanoag relatives-and other stuff, I actually was able to find my cousin Lone Wolf and we have stayed in Touch.)

I hope this isnt going to cost you lots of cash-

I got talked into joining that Ancestry.com even though I told them my relatives are mainly not here but for the Wampanoags and a few others-it was hard to get out of their grasp-

Be careful what info you post on the web about personal stuff-)

My point is-

Men and women- doesn't this seem odd about the LA vet care center?

It is hard to consider but could someone assume the identity of a deceased vet and then get VA care?

Actually I think there is a case like that at the IG web site-

Even though the Next of Kin stuff is at NARA- someone could have said they were next of kin on this vet and gotten some info they shouldn't have?

Guest DON20906

BTW, The Washington Records Center is a humongous NARA facility in Suitland, Maryland (MD), not Massachusetts (MA). They have a lot of REALLY OLD records from the 1930s back.