VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Questions

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

As many know I have an SMC rating S for agoraphobia along with 100% for panic disorder with agoraphobia.I have been rated 100% for almost 19 years.

My current condition follows.

I have a difficult time getting around and no longer drive the car. The VA pays for an aide to come to our house and help me bathe and if has time does some light housekeeping. We also pay a maid to come twice a week. We have arranged our schedule so that someone comes by every day. The VA has issued me a cane and a rollator. My bathroom has also been modified with a walk in shower and bench.My son has moved in to help us,

I just talked the VA and they want me to either have C&P or have my PCP complete a form that they are sending. The man I talked to told me that as soon as they get the form they will have to make a decision.

Since I am an S rating I wonder if the VA will give me a higher rating and how much higher it would be. I confess that all the numbers that are used confuse me. Would a higher rating allow the VA to discontinue my health aide?

I would appreciate any help on this as I really have no expertise except to say that a Veteran who has agoraphobia is usually entitled to a higher rating.

My latest fall Sunday

post-7-0-25303600-1336661758_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

SMC L would just about do it as it is the ext higher level of SMC.

Also keep in mind that and new disabilities resulting from an already service connected disability can become secondary.

Hang in there Pete.

John

Pete

It the va is paying for an aid, I doubt that would change.

Aid and attendance is the next step. What I did was to write a letter requesting A&A, and took it too my PCP for his signature. He had the letter xeroxed to va letter head, signed it, and then filled out the exam form for Housebound.A&A. Initially, I was awarded housebound but on Cue I was awarded A&A at L 1/2 because I am 100% with a seperate 50% or more rating. If you would like a copy of my letter PM me and I will send it to you.

I don't know what your rating are other than your 100% so I can;t say what step A&A you would get, likely at L.

You might also look into the new caregiver program, don't think it is opened up to all veterans yet, but it is worth a try because that programs pays good for daily assistance....

Pete

It the va is paying for an aid, I doubt that would change.

Aid and attendance is the next step. What I did was to write a letter requesting A&A, and took it too my PCP for his signature. He had the letter xeroxed to va letter head, signed it, and then filled out the exam form for Housebound.A&A. Initially, I was awarded housebound but on Cue I was awarded A&A at L 1/2 because I am 100% with a seperate 50% or more rating. If you would like a copy of my letter PM me and I will send it to you.

I don't know what your rating are other than your 100% so I can;t say what step A&A you would get, likely at L.

You might also look into the new caregiver program, don't think it is opened up to all veterans yet, but it is worth a try because that programs pays good for daily assistance....

can you tell me more about this caregiver program? the va has paid for me to have a nurses aide (under homegiver program or whatever they call it) for almost 4 years. at one time, my former primary care doc offered to write a consult so that i could get my healthcare at home. i declined at the time as the va does provide door to door service to transport me to all of my appointments.

can you tell me more about this caregiver program? the va has paid for me to have a nurses aide (under homegiver program or whatever they call it) for almost 4 years. at one time, my former primary care doc offered to write a consult so that i could get my healthcare at home. i declined at the time as the va does provide door to door service to transport me to all of my appointments.

All I can tell you about it is that the program is about a year old. It was initally for Iraq/AFG veterans only, and it is a program that will pay either a spouse, family member or other person to take care of the veteran. It does not affect veteran disability compensation. The person who is the care giver request the program, attends some basic classes and then receives a monthy check. I do not know if other veterans will be allowed to use the program any time soon.

Check this link out for more info:

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/Caregiver_Eligibility_Check.asp