VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va And Sleep Apnia

Rate this question

mojo13

Question

A friend just called me and said that the VA is now approving claims for sleep apnia due to PTSD??? this was told to him by his attorney, does any one hear of this ?????

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A friend just called me and said that the VA is now approving claims for sleep apnia due to PTSD??? this was told to him by his attorney, does any one hear of this ?????

VA grants claims on medical evidence.

There are no presumptive regs for SC of SA to PTSD.

Claims for most conditions are considered on an individual basis.

Sounds like the "rumor mill" to me. On what basis did your friend make his observation? Was he approved for OSA secondary to PTSD?

My experience is that sleep apnea is tough to service connect. Why do I say this? I have OSA and have been denied SC for it, and use a CPAP.

For "old" Vets, this is certainly true. You see, there are 3 Hickson elements to service connect:

1. In service injury or illness

2. Current diagnosis

3. A link (nexus) between the two.

For most Vietnam and older Vets, we did not even know what sleep apnea was back prior to the 1970's. If you snored loud, you were a nuisance, but dont expect compensation for being a nuisance.

Nowadays, sleep apnea is sometimes diagnosed and treated in the service, so "new" Vets are more likely to be SC for it. The old Vets had it too, but probably did not get diagnosed with OSA until 1990 or later.

Hepatitus is similar. We had jetguns that could and did infect Veterans with each others maladies such as hep c and B. But there were hardly any tests for it, and they are not as conclusive as the ones now. So, a Veteran who got hep from a jet gun has a difficult time getting SC for hep because there are several other risk factors: IV drug use, blood transfusions, tatoos, even shared razors..to name a few.

In a similar manner, more than one thing can cause OSA. For example, excess tissue in the throat can be caused by general obesity. But it can also be the result of an injury or, it is even possible that PTSD leads to OSA. But a doctor has to make that "nexus" call, and my opinion is the docs, who's checks are signed by the VA, listens to them when they say: Dont SC sleep apnea to PTSD. It will cost us too much.

Thank you all for nyour replys, believe it or not he got this from his lawyer, he is an viet nam guy like me. He has ptsd and waqs denieed sleep apnia and gotim self a lawyer she called him told him they are approving sa for vets secondary to ptsd who have shown symptoms and use a cpap. Maybe a rumer but I thought it mite be of some use. Again thanks for your replys and if I find anything else I will be sure to inform the board.

I think Bronco clearly stated it can be connected provided there is a nexus.

I am currently in a DRO process for restrictive lung disease. I calimed restrictive lung disease because of my khphoscoliosis and my OSA, both are listed under the restrictive lung disease section. I was initially denied with a rejection stating that my pulmonary function tests were normal, but they conveniently didn't want to talk about my enlarged right ventricle which is 100% on the rating schedule for restrictive lung disease. The rating schedule also states that kyphoscoliosis is a restrictive lung disease etiology (has its own number). In my previous rating decisions they cearly mention my kyphosis and scoliosis in the rating decision, but they don't want to SC me for restrictive lung. They didn't even consider the medical opinion from a pulmonologist that was in the file about my Sleep apnea starting in service. He lists as medical evidence for this my in service hypertension that they listed as essential (undetermined), my neck size, my weight(as recorded at that time), and complaints of snoring. He went on to explain at my time of service, OSA was not medically recognized by the vast majority of providers and that it often is present in individuals for decades before they are diagnosed. I have little hope that the DRO will SC it, I don't think anyone in the regional office is willing to sign off on 100% P&T with 4 years of retro.

I would really be interested in knowing if Veterans have a statistically significant higher incident of OSA than the general population. I suspect (no evidence) that soldiers build up a significant higher amount of muscle tissue in the neck than the general population due to PT and the higher load weights carried on thier bodies (especially current combat vets, due to body armor). Once people stop using this muscle and it losses tone it has to increase airway resistance before it is reabsorbed/shrinks. The thing about OSA is once you pick it up, it is a self feeding loop until you get it treated, but often at that time the results are so significant you are lucky to hold your own.

Best regards,

here are some article for you to show your doctor to help you in your nexus letter.

http://www.chestnet.org/accp/article/chest-physician/posttraumatic-stress-disorder-sleep-and-breathing

Here is a case that it as done in.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp01/files01/0102100.txt