Exploding Eyeball During Va Surgery

Berta

Question

Monday, May 14, 2012

VA Pays $925,000 in Bridgeport Exploding Eyeball Suit

From CTpost.com

"The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs agreed Monday to pay $925,000 to a man whose eyeball exploded during a routine outpatient cataract operation at the West Haven Veterans Affairs hospital. The settlement, on behalf ...

"

Full story at

http://eyewiretoday.com/archives.asp?c=61

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife and I had cataract surgery one on our eyes in the last year. We used the best eye doctor in town. The VA would not even consider doing mine even though I was 20/800 in my eye with the cataract. They did make me glasses with a lens about half an inch thick. I threw them away. I am glad they turned me down now with the exploding eyeball trick.

• HadIt.com Elder

Not a chance I will do cataract surgery at VA although one week ago I was scheduled for emergency eye surgery at Dallas VAMC until I said not a chance till I talk to optomologist

After that it was discovered that there was a mistake made by an intern. I think the VA is full of vampire interns wanting to get experience using Vets as lab rats. This is my opinion and just an opinion.

You realize, of course, that a great many outstanding "civilian" surgeons did training rotations at VA Medical Centers? Prolly doesn't apply to OB/GYN types though, unless they also had some general surgery or oncology training.

Not a chance I will do cataract surgery at VA although one week ago I was scheduled for emergency eye surgery at Dallas VAMC until I said not a chance till I talk to optomologist

After that it was discovered that there was a mistake made by an intern. I think the VA is full of vampire interns wanting to get experience using Vets as lab rats. This is my opinion and just an opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in the nineties I was also given spinal taps three times by interns practicing. I think that interns should not be scheduling surgery and of course I realize that most Docs train at VA or public hospitals.

Another reason to avoid surgery at the VA. Plenty of interns wanting to use you for a guinea pig to further there education!

• HadIt.com Elder

There used to be lots of charity hospitals for the dirt poor. This is where doctors trained on poor people. Now they use VA hospitals because lots of them are for poor people.

John