VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Returning To Work Or Not

Rate this question

Robert EE

Question

I am 100% T&P disabled for 20 plus years. I paid for a Masters program out of my own pocket and finished a program 3 years ago. As hard as I try, I cannot find work. I have been mostly trying in the federal governement because I will loose my Social Security benifits (eventually) when I am gainfully employed. (income security is important to me) I completed my bach degree in the 1990's under Voc-rehab chapter 31. Can I and should I apply for the program again. I don't want to return back to school (I am 46) but I need assistance getting employment. My resume has a lot of empty air. Is the Chapter 31 program a good thing or just trouble for a guy in my situation?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I am 100% T&P disabled for 20 plus years. I paid for a Masters program out of my own pocket and finished a program 3 years ago. As hard as I try, I cannot find work. I have been mostly trying in the federal governement because I will loose my Social Security benifits (eventually) when I am gainfully employed. (income security is important to me) I completed my bach degree in the 1990's under Voc-rehab chapter 31. Can I and should I apply for the program again. I don't want to return back to school (I am 46) but I need assistance getting employment. My resume has a lot of empty air. Is the Chapter 31 program a good thing or just trouble for a guy in my situation?

Find a job that you can relax at! Go part time with somebody like Lowes home improvement, Home depot, work with people, but don't lose your freedom to go fishing or a anything.

It's hard to find something to do, if all you do is think! How about your kid's? Help them grow up? There is so much to do with very little time!

I think Chapter 31 will deny but again it depends your disability and situation. For some people work actually aggravates their disability and makes things worse.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might try self-employment. You have not worked in 20 years. The job market is horrible. What kind of degree do you have? I think voc rehab will not want to work with you. Self-employment is one of the best things for those with disabilites.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its been a long time why not volunteer and try that for awhile. It will look good if you try and find a job. Or you can always be a greeter or get a minimum wage job. I really don't think there is a job I could keep although prolly could get a job but who knows

Good Luck