Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Recently Dx With Multiple Sclerosis

usnavy34

I'm on active duty with the navy and was recently dx with Multiple Sclerosis. I would like some help for the Multiple Sclerosis vets out there to help me out with my claim before my med board retirement comes though. I have meet with a VA rep already and he shows me a piece of paper with the things that I am claiming and Itold him that there is more things that I'm going thought that on that sheet. Tomarrow I will be giving him a list of things that I'm going thought so he can add them. Just wanted to see would other people that have Multiple Sclerosis have to say, maybe steer me in a direction.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the MEB determines if your condition is disqualifying to stay in service

and the PEB provides a rating decision, BUT don't hold me to it.

Here's a link for rating info:

http://ecfr.gpoacces....110.67&idno=38

4.124a Schedule of ratings—neurological conditions and convulsive disorders.

[With the exceptions noted, disability from the following diseases and their residuals may be rated from 10 percent to 100 percent in proportion to the impairment of motor, sensory, or mental function.

Consider especially psychotic manifestations, complete or partial loss of use of one or more extremities, speech disturbances, impairment of vision, disturbances of gait, tremors, visceral manifestations, etc., referring to the appropriate bodily system of the schedule.

With partial loss of use of one or more extremities from neurological lesions, rate by comparison with the mild, moderate, severe, or complete paralysis of peripheral nerves]

8018 Multiple sclerosis: Minimum rating . . . 30

The site below might be able to provide more information

to help for help in your specific situation.

http://www.pebforum.com/site/

Good Luck

• Admin

Welcome Aboard - Since you are still active duty I would suggest that you besides our forum which can help you through the VA part you also check out Active Duty MEB/PEB Physical OR Medical Evaluation Forum they are not affiliated with HadIt.com but I do think they are familiar with the MEB/PEB process.

Multiple Sclerosis is one of the Chronic Prresumptives that VA service connects if it is manifested to a degree of at least 10 % within 7 years after discharge.

In your case, there should be no problem with the SC claim as your diagnose has come during your service.

One suggestion I need to make is to list any other disabilities you have that you feel are due to the MS as secondary conditions.

And then (I think the rep will help with this) list the most prime disabilities next.

Sometimes claimants list symptoms which are due to a single diagnosis, but the rep might ask you for the diagnosed conditions, first ,then add the secondary problems.

I think I recently posted the Chronic Presumptive regulations here somewhere and we do have here some MS veterans.

The way the VA will rate MS is found in our Schedule of Ratings link here.

It is a good idea ,since you are still in the Military, to make sure your Discharge Certificate is complete as to any medical problems.

Welcome aboard.

Yes I am currently going thu the MEB, PEB process. When I go to my VA nuero appointment is the docter going to ask me about my other problems are is he or she going to assume them?

Yes I am currently going thu the MEB, PEB process. When I go to my VA nuero appointment is the docter going to ask me about my other problems are is he or she going to assume them?

welcome!

i have MS and was SC'd for it in 2010. started on active duty 1986 after a spine injury. took the VA that long to diagnose me. well, actually they didn't. a civilian doc did then VA agreed via a C&P.

i have not had a good experience with VA so i doubt i can help. as to your question, i've never had a VA doctor help me in the reqard you mention. i've had to almost demand they document my symptoms. i would suggest you mention your symptoms and ask he/she make note of them. so many symptoms the VA would call subjective (in my particular case) and wouldn't document them until after VA listed me with MS.

after your VA visits, i would get copies of your doctor visits and read what they write and verify it is what you listed and that you agree with it. if not, next visit or sooner ask the doctor about it and get it corrected.

with MS, one day, week, months things might be fine or they might be terrible. if on a good day you see the doctor, he/she may write something different than what you need written.

you may run into a great, compassionate, knowledgeble doctor that wants to help you and see that you get the correct benefits, etc. then again, you may not.

doctor visits are short and you can easily be led off track, as easy to do when having MS, so let the doctor know your symptoms and politiely ask they be documented. then check the copies in a few days to verify. i wouldn't make the symptom list too long due to time constraints but do get the most bothersome ones on the table.

the doctor may make it easy since you have already been diagnosed and is in time frame of 7years. i certainly hope so.

MS, generally speaking, isn't fun at all and causes all sorts of symptoms that can be so hard to describe much less deal with daily. and you have only a few minutes with the doctor to get that stuff out verbally and documented correctly.

best of luck, and do get copies of everything and go over them.